Teak cockpit floor

Greenie

5 O'clock Somewhere
Hi everyone,
im wondering if anyone has ever had a grated teak floor made for their Erison cockpit. I have a ‘79 - 35’ Ericson and am considering having one made at a local marine wood working shop.
yes I know it wont be cheap, and yes it requires maintenance to keep it looking nice ... all things I’ve been thinking about and considering.

if anyone has done this before or has a template let me know - it would be much appreciated.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All I remember about teak grating floors is that if somebody spilled potato chips it was a nightmare.

Glad to be rid of 'em.

Last edited:

gadangit

Member III
We have a new one in our head. It doesn't look to be all that difficult to make? I wouldn't be surprised if your material cost was more than the labor.

No problems with potato chips yet.

Chris20200410_171755.jpg20200410_171740.jpg

Greenie

5 O'clock Somewhere
Very nice looking - reminds me that I should pull it out of the bathroom clean and restrain it. Thank you for sharing

frick

Member III
I had a teak grating in my cockpit of my e29. Looks nice. Lasted a long time. I don't miss it

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi everyone,
im wondering if anyone has ever had a grated teak floor made for their Erison cockpit. I have a ‘79 - 35’ Ericson and am considering having one made at a local marine wood working shop.
yes I know it wont be cheap, and yes it requires maintenance to keep it looking nice ... all things I’ve been thinking about and considering.

if anyone has done this before or has a template let me know - it would be much appreciated.

While not as authentic or traditional as real teak, “PlasTeak” is close in looks and so much easier to maintain. Cost is much less as well.

Worth a thought and to check out their website for the many product offerings.

We had them do new handrails and 3 (maybe 4??) years later they still look like new with zero upkeep.

Any and all exterior trim work for us going forward is with the key consideration of no to minimal upkeep in favor of more sailing time.
24C11238-944F-4B4A-B726-647FD12C71A5.jpeg64428BCC-8771-43D3-B982-BD67319A7B05.jpeg

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'd like to ask a very simple (probably stupid) but obvious question. Why have a grated teak floor in the cockpit if there is non skid there already? I scrub my cockpit floor down quite a bit and it seems that a grate on top of the floor would make it much harder to clean and require that it be removed for each cleaning. Am I missing something here besides maybe the aesthetic appeal?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In my world, the purpose of a grated floor--or any type of floorboards--was always to keep feet from getting wet, as in dinghies, or any application where the area underfoot doesn't drain well.

We had one in a wooden Pilot 33 when I was a kid, and in a Herreschoff double-ender, too. Cockpit drains in those boats were minimal, no standard had yet been set.

But as I muttered earlier, they were not particularly comfortable on tootsies, and they collected junk somethin' awful. Ericson cockpits drain well so, well, anyhow, there it is. A teak grate in an Ericson cockpit would have to be designed so as not to cover or interfere with the drains.

If it weren't a gray open Sunday and I had something to do instead of being tied to the computer by the strings of my homemade mask I probably wouldn't have so many unsolicited opinions, or at least not so early, or at least at not such length.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
OK, I get the drainage thing but as you say, Christian, Ericson's have it covered as far as drainage goes especially with the four scuppers in the cockpit of my 32-3. As far as being home bound because of "the virus", this is the most exciting thing I've done all day so far! Next big thrill of the day is to warm up the Easter ham.

Greenie

5 O'clock Somewhere
Well honestly it is purely aesthetics only for thinking about a teak floor in the cockpit. I love the look of teak (don’t always love the sanding and restaining).

I’m sure I can find better ways of spending money on the boat and Christian is right the grates are a magnet for chips and everything else that falls and they’re not the most comfortable thing to stand on in bare feet.

the good news is the sun is supposed to be out this week here in SoCa again and maybe I’ll just go out for a sail and forget about the teak grate for now.

paul culver

Member III
Hi Greenie. Just curious where you dock in SoCal. I'm in Oceanside and they won't let us take our boats out of the slips due to the virus.

Greenie

5 O'clock Somewhere
Holiday harbor in San Pedro ... went out last week without an issue. As Christian said above, I don’t think LA county has restricted the use of the harbor yet. I think I did hear that Catalina was shut down, but that could be just a rumor

Last edited by a moderator: