Tall Ship "Battle"

Rob Salinas

Member II
Greetings, according to The Log there will be a mock "battle" between four tall ships outside L A Harbor/ San Pedro Sat. Dec 29 2012. Our ( L.A.) official tall ships, Irving & Exy Johnson, will take on Washington State based Lady Washington and the Hawaiian Chieftain in a 19th century-style cannon "battle". War starts at 2pm. Tickets to crew on the ships can be purchased for $60-adults, $50-seniors, $40-kids 12 and under. If your on the water to watch,I would suggest staying clear of the business end of the cannons, as a couple of months ago a crew person aboard a tall ship was shot when someone accidentally (?) loaded a cannon with buckshot! She refused to be taken back to port for medical treatment till after the battle!( just a flesh wound sir) talk about taking one or a few for the team! Any way looks like fun, maybe the So. Cal. Ericson flotilla should be rounded up just in case Irving& Exy need some back-up. I hope the weather co-operates with these fronts that have been moving through. Weather permitting I'll be out, Maluhia has the green cove stripe.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good Thread, Rob!

Kathy and I did a "battle cruise" aboard the Hawian Chieftan in its home harbor @ Westport, WA, several summers ago.
It was loads of loud and smoky fun!
:egrin:

Watching the crew mangage all those many sheets and braces while the two dueling vessels tacked all 'round to gain an advantage was way cool -- tiring just to watch!

Read a Sabatini novel before you go out, to put you in the proper mood.
:)

Loren

Attachments

• Captain Blood book cover.jpg
    Captain Blood book cover.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited: