Taking apart my boom

jkm

Member III
Gentlemen

I attached a photo and want to know if anyone has disassembled a similar type boom.

Once the acorn nuts are removed are the studs threaded rod that I need to loosen and push/pull through the boom?

I enclosed a picture of my hatch that I just refinished and I'm mighty proud of how spiffy it looks.

John

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 76

Rhynie

Member III
John,
It looks like that center shaft allows the boom to turn on it and the inside end probably extends in an internal sleeve a little bit. It would seem that it would cause interference with that middle bolt if the bolt went all the way through. My guess is that the bolts do not go through, but if they don't, then why the acorn nuts? You probably won't know until you put a wrench on them.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Shouldn't go through unless there is some internal tackle attached to it, like an outhaul or topping lift. I just refinished my boom and the internal outhaul was attached to a through bolt about six inches back from the gooseneck fitting. All the screws on mine that were positioned like yours were to attach the cast end fittings to the boom extrusion. All the screws were tapped into the end fittings. However, there might be through bolts for external boom bails.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
John,

They look like acorn nuts, but is it possible they are acorn head screws? Me thinks that may be the case and that they thread into the gooseneck / endcap. If so, you have your work cut out for you. The stainless steel screw will undoubtedly be seized in the aluminum casting. You should try some PB Blaster for a good long soak (don't get it on your lines or any plastic objects) then use an impact driver with an appropriately sized socket to try to break it loose.

Then, if it doesn't free up, clean it with acetone and cut the head off square and drill the head off. Don't let the drill wander into the soft aluminum. Next you will have to drill the body of the screw out. You may have to go up a drill size and then tap it.

Good luck.

P.S. The hatch looks great!:egrin:

jkm

Member III
Keith

Thanks for the input. The acorn nuts come off very easily and today I put some penetrating oil on the studs.

Seem to me that the only way to slide the gooseneck assembly out of the boom is to remove the studs. I'm hoping that they're threaded rods.

I want to rebuild the gooseneck, it's getting loose.

Thanks for the comment on my hatch, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, despite the beers!

John

jkm

Member III
Okay---solved

I took off the four acorn nuts and viola 'one side had flat washers other had lock washers. This confirmed my suspicion that the gooseneck, which is slid inside the boom, is held on by threaded rods.

A few gentle taps and the threaded rods were free, after 36 years, truly amazing.

Tomorrow the sail and boom come off, then the gooseneck will be repaired, boom painted and another beer!

Thanks

John :cheers:

Mindscape

Member III
All good news!

While you have the boom apart you might consider new blocks for the outhaul and topping lift. I replaced mine with blocks that have ball bearings and it really helped both arrangements, and was cheap and easy to do. Some of the folks have also up'ed the purchase on the the outhaul to make it easier to use.

jkm

Member III
FranK

Good idea. When I get her home, I'll look it over. Might have to post for help.

John