Tackling the transmission

brianb00

O - 34
I have now replaced the Hurth 50 with the TMC 40 (Technodrive) in my Olson 34. This all bolts onto the flywheel of the M25XP. In all the task included a new transmission, new damper plate, new exhaust elbow/mixer (stock from Westerbeke), changing to 2" exhaust hose, modifying the old muffler to accommodate the 2" hose ( a day of fiberglass work), and many new bolts and washers. The engine was raised up about 3" using a dock bumper and bike pump. The bell housing and trans. just could be squeezed out and up after raising the engine and pulling it forward about an inch. Rusted bolts on the transmission flange were attacked with a torch and they came loose without to much struggle. The transmission requires raising the engine 0.21 inches which I did with precision spacer washers at each engine mount. The tran. output flange fit perfectly on the prop shaft flange and the PSS seal was not disturbed - it still functions. The alignment was inside .003", it actually depends on the backstay adjuster tension. The exhaust elbow is a touch lower than the original Universal version and interferes with the heat exchanger. So that has been slid a couple of inches to starboard. It was tested in the slip a few hours ago with a 30 sec run. Amazing forward power with a transmission whose clutch isn't slipping. I have about an hours worth of work left to clean up and optimize the exhaust/heat exchanger positioning, then a full power in the slip test to hopefully seat things, and a re tightening of critical bolts. Total hours getting this done was about 20, costs: Trans $1250, exhaust riser $250. , Damper $430, 2" exhaust hose $30, misc new bolts/washers/oil/grease about $80. Thanks for the advice/photos I found here and other sites. Glad to have this complete.

JSM

Member III
In the middle of this very same job on our '87 E34 with an M25xp. I initially thought that I would just raise the engine and remove the bell housing but then decided that getting it out of the engine compartment completely would make the job easier as well as give me room to remove and replace all of the old and crumbling insulation.
I used a chain hoist to lift the engine and set it on a furniture dolly and turned it side ways in the galley.
Once out of the compartment the bell housing, trans and damper plate came off easily.
Painting the bell housing and new Twin Disc today and hope to have everything back together within the next week.

Attachments

• engine out.jpg
    engine out.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 32
  • on dolly.jpg
    on dolly.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 31
  • engine compartment.jpg
    engine compartment.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 31

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
John, you are going thru the initiation into a select group of Vikings... !
:)
When finished, we will instruct you in the secret handshake (once we all decide what it is.)

To borrow part of a song lyric from Jimmy Buffet: "Engine in, engine out, Move on!"
:egrin:

JSM

Member III
John, you are going thru the initiation into a select group of Vikings... !
:)
When finished, we will instruct you in the secret handshake (once we all decide what it is.)

To borrow part of a song lyric from Jimmy Buffet: "Engine in, engine out, Move on!"
:egrin:
Thanks Loren ! If the weather here doesn't start cooperating on a consistent basis I may forget how to put this all back together !!

brianb00

O - 34
In the middle of this very same job on our '87 E34 with an M25xp. I initially thought that I would just raise the engine and remove the bell housing but then decided that getting it out of the engine compartment completely would make the job easier as well as give me room to remove and replace all of the old and crumbling insulation.
I used a chain hoist to lift the engine and set it on a furniture dolly and turned it side ways in the galley.
Once out of the compartment the bell housing, trans and damper plate came off easily.
Painting the bell housing and new Twin Disc today and hope to have everything back together within the next week.
Looks good. I have had the engine out in the past. I had the head rebuilt some years ago, and replaced the oil pan. In my case I used the boom and the mainsheet blocks to hoist the engine out. For the transmission it appeared I had just enough room to wiggle the bell housing plus transmission out in the space behind the engine. Good luck with finishing up. I will be doing a run in test this weekend then a few hours of motoring/sailing.

brianb00

O - 34
John, did your transmission arrive painted bright red ? Makes for a nice contrast with the gold , although I hope to only see it once per year.

JSM

Member III
John, did your transmission arrive painted bright red ? Makes for a nice contrast with the gold , although I hope to only see it once per year.
Mine came naked. I painted it, the bell housing and the motor mounts with Rust-oleum 210849 hammered copper.
I bought a shift cable bracket from Beta Marine in SC and it came painted red.

20220403_165351 (1).jpg

Last edited: