Surveying a 1987 35-3. Inherent problems I should look at

jmffmj

I'm surveying and possibly buying a 35-3 1987. Are there any inherent problems with this model I should be aware of? I like the boat but I'm very cautious about used ones since I've seen the best and worst of boat dealers of all brands of boats.

Thanks,
Jim:confused:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Don't know of any typical problems of that vintage, other than what is normal for a boat that old. Petty much just comes down to how well it has been maintained. A well maintained Ericson is the best Quality boat you are going to get for the money. There is a good chance the owner of the boat your looking at knows that too.

Mark.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Experience with 1987 35-3

Jim: I bought my boat in Feb of 06......fresh water boat......in water continually in a tempereate climate.....everything going for it to be the best available at that particular time.

That said, the PO had made an unholy mess of the wiring......had a holding tank installed that was a disaster........did a combination of Cetol and varnish on the boat which looked like finger painting......and as far as general cleaning...forget it.....the dipstick was left out of the engine and there was black oil all over the engine and surrounding area........the sails were garbage....likewise the running rigging....the boat was delivered with wire halyards that were allowed to slap on the mast and scratch the hell out of it.....all of the mast wiring was a disaster......when I took into account that the boat was 20 years old and survived all of this, which while a mess did nothing to destroy the integrity of the boat......just took a bit of time to get straightened out.......

At this point in time, the boat is now going on 30 years of age......if checking it out gives you any of these problems and nothing major after a thorough inspection and the price is market correct you will have one fantastic boat.

Get as much replacement history as possible.....rigging, and engine being the major big $$$ items.....

If you have any specific things you want covered in depth send me a pm and will do the best I can to help.

Good Luck