Survey today of Ericson 28

Cat

I just returned from having the boat I was under contract for surveyed. It's an Ericson 28 from 1988.
Everything came back as expected, I think. The surveyor says that it's in quite good shape for its age, but needs the usual upgrades in wiring, plumbing and eventually standing and running rigging. It apparently has been hardly used for the past 13 years, but he says it can be sailed as is now.
Luckily, he was happy with the state of the engine which was my biggest concern as it's the original 10 HP Universal M12.
But, and there had to be a but, there are some largish blisters on the bottom. I'll try to attach some photos here. Luckily I took the photos before the hull dried and they started disappearing, which took about 10 minutes.
The surveyor didn't seem too concerned, but I suppose I am a little as I've never had to deal with this issue and don't know if I want to.

The best part of the survey though was the sea trial. The boat was really fun to sail. We had gusts up to 20 knots, one reef in the main and got up to 6 knots easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    410.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    401.4 KB · Views: 28

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Don't worry at all about the blisters. There's a pretty standard process for getting rid of them and then for building layers of glass cloth in the resulting depression. You can do it all very easily and cheaply.
When you get around to doing this, it'll be the ideal time to sand (or chemically strip) back to gel coat and then add few good coats of barrier paint (e.g., Interprotect 2000) before putting on your antifouling paint. Good luck!

Reactions: Cat

Cat

I have a 1990 Ericson 28 and am happy to answer any model-specific questions you might have. Good luck!
Thanks William. I noticed that the water heater looked pretty ancient. How hard are they to replace? I couldn't see how one would remove it as there wasn't any room to pull it out through the quarter berth, at least that's what it looked like...

Gaviate

Member III
sand (or chemically strip) back to gel coat
As happens, I am preparing to strip my hull (not blister related, just long, long overdue) but hadn't considered chemical stripper, do you have a product best suited? Otherwise I'm a sander and vacuum sort and not really thrilled with the upcoming mess! Thanks!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
As happens, I am preparing to strip my hull (not blister related, just long, long overdue) but hadn't considered chemical stripper, do you have a product best suited? Otherwise I'm a sander and vacuum sort and not really thrilled with the upcoming mess! Thanks!
I used 'PeelAway' many years ago - got it from a local paint store. I just sanded this last time

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Don't worry at all about the blisters. There's a pretty standard process for getting rid of them and then for building layers of glass cloth in the resulting depression. You can do it all very easily and cheaply.
When you get around to doing this, it'll be the ideal time to sand (or chemically strip) back to gel coat and then add few good coats of barrier paint (e.g., Interprotect 2000) before putting on your antifouling paint. Good luck!
The words ‘easily’ and ‘boat repairs’ don’t belong anywhere near each other!

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Thanks William. I noticed that the water heater looked pretty ancient. How hard are they to replace? I couldn't see how one would remove it as there wasn't any room to pull it out through the quarter berth, at least that's what it looked like...
I have contemplated this project before but thankfully mine is in good shape and still works. The water heater is 13" x 13" x 19" and the lazarette is approximately 10" wide. More than likely the project would require cutting (I believe there is a post/blog from @Christian Williams addressing this) or you will need to pull the engine. The units are still available at Defender. I recommend pushing this project to the bottom of your list if you end up with the boat.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
The words ‘easily’ and ‘boat repairs’ don’t belong anywhere near each other!
That's usually true, but for blister removal, relatively speaking ... I think that opening, cleaning, drying and filling in hull blisters has been about the least difficult task I've done on my last two keelboats. Plus, the consumables and tools are relatively very cheap (epoxy resin and filler, small amount of fiberglass cloth, flathead screwdriver, metal spatula, scissors, sanding materials), and the work area is spacious(!)
But, depending how many blisters are involved, it might take parts of just a few days, or several days, to complete the whole process.

Cat

I have contemplated this project before but thankfully mine is in good shape and still works. The water heater is 13" x 13" x 19" and the lazarette is approximately 10" wide. More than likely the project would require cutting (I believe there is a post/blog from @Christian Williams addressing this) or you will need to pull the engine. The units are still available at Defender. I recommend pushing this project to the bottom of your list if you end up with the boat.
Ah, yes, this is what I feared. There are a few projects on this boat that look like they want to live at the bottom of the list. I'm still mulling over the decision. Thanks for the info'.