Summer Bay Area Ericson Gathering?

dwigle

Member III
us too

There's a good chance that Jan and I will be bringing Wiggle Room if our calendar is clear. Bill and Lore have encouraged us to come along. Timing is the main thing as the summer looks full between hauling out and maybe an excursion to Monterey Bay area for a couple of weeks.

Don and Jan Wigle
Wiggle Room
E-38 Hull #8

jmoses

Member III
USCG Vessel Safety Check Guidelines

All,

To those interested in the Ericson rendezvous on the weekend of July 23rd/24th, I've volunteered to conduct USCG Vessel Safety Checks and award stickers to those who pass. I’m more than happy to take the time to inspect all the vessels that are interested in the safety check. It's about a 15-20 minute operation and may help on your insurance policy. In addition, Law Enforcement and USCG are more apt to pass on boarding a vessel with the sticker unless there is an obvious violation observed, but there are no guarantees!

To make the process as easy as possible and allow as many of those interested in passing the check here are the basic requirements:

1. Original and current CA vessel registration must be onboard and the display of CA numbers must be block numbers on the forward portion of the port and stbd side of the hull and meet the 3" height requirements with a current CA registration sticker.

2. If USCG Documented, the original and current Certificate of Documentation (CoD) must be on board, with the vessel's name and hailing port affixed to the stern which must be clearly legible and not less than 4" in height. In addition, the official number must be permanently attached to a structural member of the vessel such as an engine stringer or deck beam which is easily visible with numbers not less than 3" in height. The Official number must be proceeded by "No." followed by the official CoD number (e.g. "NO. 123456").

3. Personal Flotation Devices - There must be a PFD for every member of the crew and passengers on board and if an inflatable Type V, it must be worn to count as applicable to the total count. Keep in mind, if any children are on board, there must be an adequate number of child PFD's on board as well. In addition, CA law requires any vessel less than 26' in length to have a child wear a PFD at all times if under 11 years or younger if on deck unless tethered to the boat or underneath in the cabin. All Type I’s, Type II's or Type III or V are acceptable in if serviceable condition and USCG approved.

4. Visual Distress Signals – Must be current, USCG approved and correct for intended area of operation. For bay and delta operations (if operated between sunset and sunrise) all that’s required is three signaling devices such as three red night/day flares, or 3 pistol fired shells. If only daylight operations, then an adequate means of attracting attention, but I STRONGLY encourage having aboard current and USCG approved visual distress signals for all vessels at all times and they be readily accessible and properly stowed.

5. Fire extinguishers:

A. Vessels less than 26 feet are required to carry one (1) B-1 extinguisher if no fixed fire system is installed, and if a fixed system is installed, then no portables are required. (a fixed system is an engine space pre-engineered fire bottle such as a Kiddie or similar make that has remote release capabilities).

B. Vessels 26 feet to less than 40 feet are required to carry two (2) B-1 extinguishers (or one B II) if no fixed fire system is installed. If a fixed system is installed, then only one (1) B I is required.

C. Vessels greater than 40 feet but less than 65 feet are required to carry three (3) B I's, or one (1) B II and one (1) B I. if a fixed fire extinguishing system is installed then only two (2) B I's or one (1) B II is required.

D. All extinguishers must be USCG approved which means they must have the metal bracket attached, but amazingly enough, they is no federal requirement that they be permanently mounted (!), just readily accessible, but I encourage them to be mounted in accessible locations like the galley, helm station and near the engine room door/access. Plus they must be in serviceable condition with no signs of leaks, the gauge in the green and in good condition.

5. Ventilation: If gas powered there must be a 12 volt blower installed that sucks from the lower portion of the bilge with a natural ventilation hose to introduce fresh air as the blower operates. If diesel powered, blowers are a good idea but not required, just adequate ventilation.

6. Back fire flame arrestor- only required on gasoline engines. Must be clean and properly installed

7. An efficient sound producing device such as a horn or one of those gas powered things is required if under 39.4 feet. If over 39.4 feet but under 65.6 feet, an 8” bell is required (200 mm) in addition to a whistle or horn.

8. Nav lights. Depending on size dictates nav light arrangement, but all must be in working order.

9. if over 26 feet, a USCG approved “Oil Pollution Placard” must be mounted in a conspicuous location.

10. If over 26 feet, a MARPOL “Garbage Placard” must be mounted in a conspicuous location.

11. MSD – if an installed toilet(s) is onboard, there must be a type I, II, or III marine sanitation device.

12. If over 39.4 feet, there must be a copy of the COLREGS/Inland rules on board (USCG navigation rules)

13. Over all condition – clear decks, clean bilge, no hazardous conditions, secure battery, no electrical hazards, acceptable fuel system (no leaks, etc.) etc.

There are "recommended" items such as a VHF, de-watering device(s), anchor and line, first aid kit, etc. but not required to pass (amazingly enough!)

And there are "Discussion items" such as the importance of carrying charts, filing a float plan, etc.

For more info and see if you’ll pass the exam, check out this web site:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/vsc.htm

BTW.....since I'm error prone, I can't guarantee all the info above is 100% correct, but I tried to get it all right. Check out the web site to verify all the USCG requirements and run through the self check..........

John M.

jmoses

Member III
More on USCG Safety Check - one more item

I KNEW I forgot something,

14. Any vessel over 16 feet in length must have an approved Type IV (throwable device such as a ring buoy or horseshoe) readily accessible and in servicable condition..... A "Life Sling" is considered acceptable as well.

John M.

erobitaille

Member II
Just wondering. Is any body doing the KFOG Kaboom this Sat. ? We are thinking about anchoring off pier 30-32 to take in the concert and fire works.

Tenacious238

Room for another at the raftup?

I am new to this Forum! I have a 1981 Ericson 38 and I would love to get together for a raft-up! I hope I'm not intruding... I keep it over in San Francisco Marina, so it is an easy trip over to Clipper Cove... so it sounds like July 23/24 is the final date. Is it possible to have too many boats for this? It sounds like there's at least 10 so far. Let me know if I can bring anything for the group -- food, drink, etc.! -Max :egrin:

boatboy

Inactive Member
Hi Max,

We will be pleased to see you there. The cove is so big I cannot possibly imagine there not being enough room for as many Ericsons as we can get. Looks like there will be a few 38's, so it should be interesting for you to compare setups and get new ideas.

We were thinking it might be nice if we each brought drinks and/or favorite snacks-hors d'oeuvres to share. Beyond that, you should plan on bringing your own main dinner course. If you don't have a bar-b-que, I'm sure there will be enough others available to use.

boatboy

Inactive Member
2005 Gathering

This thread listing has gotten old enough that some people are getting confused with the thread about last year's gathering. THIS IS FOR JULY 2005.

July 23-24 Treasure Island Clipper Cove
Be there or be square.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Pictures, please...

Someone down there please take some nice images and upload them (drag/drop in IE) to the site's ftp site:

ftp://ftp.ericsonyachts.org/incoming/

We're going to be creating regional pages with images from the various get togethers sometime soon - and I need the material. Wish I could be down there to visit - I know you'll have fun! :egrin:

//sse

ps: You guys don't have tee shirts, do you? :D

rssailor

TI rendevous

Question about the voluntary inspection. What are you refering to original registration, the title??
I plan on being there if my engine is fixed in time. Ryan Moonglow Ericson 25+

Traveler

Member I
I will be there with bells on, so to speak. :D

BTW: anyone participating in the Bay View Boat Club's vernerable Plastic Classic Regatta this weekend? It's a boatload of fun. :egrin:

Melgstevens

E-46 can't make the rendezvous

Hello everyone,
It looks like Aiki is not going to make it to the rendezvous at Clipper Cove after all :esad: The boat projects are lagging behind a bit more than anticipated, and so we will be madly pulling wires all weekend. You all know how the projects get :egrin: We hope you have a wonderful time without us, and we will try and come next year!

Melissa and Guy
S/V Aiki, E-46

boatboy

Inactive Member
Bummer. I was really looking forward to seeing your boat. I've never seen the 46 before. Oh well.

We will still definitely be there. In fact, we are going through the check list to make sure we pass that Coast Guard Safety Inspection. Last night we threw out a couple fire extinguishers that were well over 10 years old to be replaced with new ones. We also took note that no one had ever posted the Oil Pollution Placard on Pacifica. In trying to take care of this situation we discovered that West Marine no longer sells these signs. It's sure surprising that the number one marine retailer does not sell all the items needed to pass the minimum Coast Guard rules. Luckily we found one at Svendson's -- the last one they had in stock!

Guy Stevens

Plackards

West Marine has them, they are heavy duty adhesive vinyl instead of plastic, (Although they did have the plastic ones for sale in Alameda store), and when I went in last week they gave them to me FREE. I will cut off the big West Marine ad at the bottom of them before attaching them to some spot on the garbage can, and in the engine room. :)

Guy
:)

boatboy

Inactive Member
Interesting... the dude in the Berkeley store told us they were no longer in the catalog and they had none in stock. It sounds like Alameda has their act more together.

rssailor

Ti

Moonglow is back running with her other motor and I am getting the boat ready to come on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing all the other ericson's and projects people have done. Ryan :egrin:

boatboy

Inactive Member
Trip Report

We are just back from a very enjoyable and successful Ericson Rendezvous 2005. :egrin:

At our peak we had 10 boats rafted together in a line, plus two others anchored nearby on their own. 8 in the big group ended up spending the night, as well as one of the separately anchored boats. 1 39B, 5 38's, 3 35's, 2 34's, 1 25+

This was truly a great group of people, and I believe a blast was had by all. The weather was fantastic as well. There was a bit of a heat wave in the Bay Area this weekend, so it was perfect being out on the bay. No fog, just lots of sun and perfect sailing wind. We had about 10 to 15 knots on our trip over. In the evening it all died away, to leave us a very peaceful anchorage (if you can ignore the traffic noise from the Bay Bridge nearby). Forget what Mark Twain is claimed to have said, summer in San Francisco can be perfect shorts and t-shirt weather once in a while.

The only thing missing was one John Moses - who was supposed to show up and give everyone a chance for their Coast Guard Safety Inspection. I'm sure he had a very good reason for standing us all up. :devil: Just kidding John, hope to see you next time.

Speaking for myself, I would have to say that this was probably the funnest social sailing event that I've been to. I expect that a number of us may meet up again on a cruise to Drake's Bay later this summer.

Greg, Melissa and Matey

Attachments

• Img_3769 trimmed.jpg
    Img_3769 trimmed.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Img_3765 small.jpg
    Img_3765 small.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Img_3790 small.jpg
    Img_3790 small.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

corkhead

Julian Ashton
Clipper cove raftup

Hey that was fun!!
Thanks Boatboy for the pictures, what a handsome group of Ericsons.
It was good meeting everyone, Julie & I really enjoyed hearing all the stories and meeting Ericson lovers!! Looking forward to the next event.
Cheers
Julian

Traveler

Member I
Sorry I missed it folks....an unexpected family emergency came up on Friday that precluded my attendance :boohoo:

Looks like ya'll had some good clean fun! I finally got out sailing on Sunday afternoon and saw quite a few Ericsons looking good on the bay.

Please clue me in on the Drakes' Bay cruise plans when the time comes ;)