Suggestions for tool kit contents ?

SeaRogue

Member II
I am setting up a tool kit for my E32-3 with an M25 universal diesel engine. I welcome suggestions as to what that tool kit should include. The engine of course is metric while the rest of the boat is US measurements.

If anyone has made a list as I am doing now I would appreciate knowing what you include and why.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After wasting years with a makeshift conglomeration of mixed end wrenches, I finally bought a set of SAE and Metric, each in a roll-up pouch, from Sears.
This would be next after a good quality socket set, 3/8 and 1/4 inch drives with some extra extensions and a wobbler. Sockets in both SAE and Metric. Your Hurth trans uses metric...

Among your screwdrivers, include a ratchet offset screwdriver. One with straight bit and one with phillips.
And, laugh if you want about hitting things to fix them, a LOT of times you need some force on a wrench or whatever and have almost no room to swing a hammer. That's when you need a short-handled 3# "drilling hammer". You can put a carefully controlled "thud" on something in a confined space. You do not have to move it much to generate force.... great tool for some problems.;)

That's a start.
:rolleyes:

LB
ps: edit -- set of vice grips (real ones, not the knock offs), Crescent wrenches, and the handy fold-up allen wrench sets, sae and metric.

Attachments

• 660646_front200.jpg
    660646_front200.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 251
  • drilling hammer.jpeg
    drilling hammer.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 39
  • p_749000786_1.jpg
    p_749000786_1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Also needlenose pliers for cotter pins and rings, allen keys for zincs steering pedestal, etc., wire cutter/crimp tool, metal saw blade, pocket knife/utility knife, electric drill & bits, grease gun for rudder greasing, small adjustable wrench for the quick/easy jobs, a can where you can accumulate nuts, bolts, lock washers, screws, cotter pins, clevis pins, etc.; various kinds of electrical connectors in case a wire breaks loose, extra hose clamps of various sizes, extension cord, extra fuses.

These are just some things that come to mind; others may add their ideas too.

Frank

Sam Vickery

Member III
Tool Kit

SeaRogue,

The "old salt" who taught me what little I know suggested the following:

1 Lare Vise Grip
1 Small Vise Grip
1 set of open end wrenches 3/8"-3/4"
1 12" adjustable wrench
1 8" adjustab le wrench
1 Hacksaw with extra blades
1 Awl
1 3/8" large blade screwdrive
1 1/4" medium blade screwdriver
1 philips screwdriver (large)
1 philips screwdriver (medium)
1 Stardard Pliers
1 londg nose pliers
2 large slip-joint pliers (to fit shaft packing gland)
1 Hammer
1 set 3/8" drive sockets 3/8" - 3/4" with universal and extensions

He said this was the least amount I should carry.

Hope this helps.

Sam
1986 32-3

SeaRogue

Member II
Thanks

Thanks for the input. Please keep the ideas coming...I am making a list and including many of your suggestions.

AleksT

Member III
The previous posts seem to have covered a good set of tools here are some handy liquids and goops.
A dry lubricant for sheaves and cars (like Sailkote) oily ones get dirty then gummy. Some sort of penetrating oil for stubborn screws (like PB Blaster) An anticorrosive anti sieze goop (like TefGel or Lanokote) so the new stainless screw will not corrode the aluminium mast (the one you had to use the penetrating oil on and skinned your knuckles getting out)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
No one has mentioned a multi meter to check battery voltage, resistance in electrical wires, voltage/electrical flow in wires, etc. I use mine quite often.

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No one has mentioned a multi meter to check battery voltage, resistance in electrical wires, voltage/electrical flow in wires, etc. I use mine quite often.
Frank

Good Point. That brings to mind one of my friends that has an immaculate E-32-3, who has a separate tool kit for electrical tools and parts. I have started separating out my electrical tools also, into another separate kit.
The thread seemed to start on a "mechanical" tool query, mentioning the diesel engine, and I just sort of focused on that end of the on-board tool universe.

Take care,
Loren

SeaRogue

Member II
6 or 12 point wrenches

Is it better to buy 6 or 12 point box end wrenches? Most of the wrenches will be metric and will be used on the Universal diesel engine.

Any thoughts? BTW, I appreciate the input regarding electrical and other items as well. I have always tried to keep a separate small tool box for the electrical things. It includes a tester as well as a crimper/cutter, wire nuts, connectors, tape, spare bulbs etc.

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Six point wrenches have more holding power and are less likely to damage the head of a bolt. Twelve point can be used in tighter places because they have more points of application per 360*. But, they should not be used in cases of higher torque. For average repairs twelve point will do just fine. Also in the case of electrical meters, having an amprobe is a great idea.

Best,
Frank

u079721

Contributing Partner
The one thing I never did get around to making up was a list of tools. Too bad.

As for the 6 vs 12 point sockets, my understanding is that 6 point is stronger, but in tight spaces the 12 point sockets gives you more precision, and makes it easier to get the socket mounted.

Electrical. Keep an electrical kit with double action crimpers, wire striper, spades and rings, butt joints, shrink wrap tubing, and many feet of an assortment of wire gauges.

Not really tools, but an assortment of every fuse and light bulb on the boat.

Again not really tools, but a rebuild kit for every pump.

An assortment of stainless wood screws, machine screws, and nuts.

Get one of those butane powered hot gun soldering iron things. I used mine all the time.

If you have an inverter, get a Dremel tool - one of the most useful things I ever bought for the boat.

A mirror on the end of an inspection wand.

One of those pick up tools that allows you to pick up small things on the end of an 18" wand. Great for getting screws out of the bilge.

A pry bar.

A hand saw.

A hacksaw with lots of blades.

A drill with bit set. Either rechargeable or hand powered (slow but reliable).

A pair of dedicated wrenches sized just for your stuffing box. MUCH easier than trying to make do with a pair of channel locks. Order from McMaster Carr and cut them down in length if necessary to the length that you can easily use in that restricted space.

A 12 Volt work light with a long cord to be able to reach every place on the boat.

Spare hose clamps.

Lots of cable ties.

Stainless steel seizing wire.

Snap ring pliers.

Lengths of the hose that you would need to replace leaking cooling hoses.

A spare set of engine throttle and gear shift cables (I wish I'd had these on board during at least one cruise!).

More to come as I remember the rest......

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Steve,
Thanks for the great list.
I totally forgot the drill! :rolleyes:
I have a nifty Fiskars drill that some sailing friends gave us about 20 years ago. It still works fine and is used regularly. For frp or wood, when you only need a few holes and don't want to mess with setting up for power tool use, it's wonderful.

Our Fiskars shears will cut thru a lot of stuff that traditional ones will not, also.

Loren

Attachments

• Craft-Hand-Drill-Green_product_main.jpg
    Craft-Hand-Drill-Green_product_main.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
A couple more thoughts... As a mechanic by profession, I find that the tool for a hose clap is a nut driver! You can use the driver for a 1/4 inch tip set for the mini clamps and get a 5/16 & 3/8 for the larger ones. I use almost exclusively 12 point wrenches and 6 point sockets and virtually never round off the heads.... THE SECRET IS BUY QUALITY TOOLS!!!!! With all the money we put into the boat and as far as we can get from the guy with the good tools it only makes sense that we be that guy! It is tempting to get that set of everything for 29.99 but if your tool is broken it is worthless and if the fastener is rounded id is the start of a bad day! A electrical test light is a must as is a small pipe wrench and 2 is better (to get on both ends of a pipe joint). A razor knife and blades and a putty knife. Also add anything that you needed to do THAT project that you went and got a special tool for. Edd:egrin:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have been assembling my cruising toolkit for a while now and one of the tool combinations I find extremely usefull and convenient are my right angle Dewalt cordless drill and shopvac. It is 18v and I can use the battery in my Dewalt mini shop vac.

DW960B_1NB.jpg

DC500_1.jpg

Some other specialty tools I find invaluable are as follows:

- Jewelers screwdriver set(great for electrical and fixing glases)
- Flexible grabber(good for getting back those parts/tools dropped in tight spaces)
- Plastic Napa Calipers(great for determing ID and OD)
- Hex driver with float attached(for zinc anode work)
- Hammer with the handle cut back to 6" and a wrist lanyard attached(you should never need a full swing on a boat)
- And my most used tool is my combination screwdriver(the kind you see at the HW store checkout). This one I keep at the Nav desk at all times. And it doubles as a small and large nut driver for hose clamps. I have a seperate nut driver for my Awab clamps.

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Cotter Pin Extractor

Great suggestion above on nut drivers for hose clamps - it was all I used.

Another unusual item that I found very useful was a cotter pin extractor.

e429269e-6980-4d28-aa52-13e66f924025_300.jpg

As for wrenches and such, I've never owned a set - but Master Rigger Brion Toss swears by using the Metwrench set of sockets and wrenches. These are sized to be able to handle both metric and sterling at the same time.

51P7TW9Li2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Metrinch-Combo-Spanner-Socket-Wrench/dp/B000WR3JUO

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Depends how you use the boat. Daysail or voyaging? Obviously the farther you go the more you will likely think you need. Murphys Law dictates you will have exactly one less tool than you need. I assembled a tool kit based on what I need to perform routine work on the boat, engine, rig, etc. That will vary based on the person, boat and use. I would like to have my 6ft tall, 4ft wide rollaway toolbox on the boat but that is not reasonable. I am partial to 6pt sockets as they do not round off fasteners as easy as the 12pt variants. Knipex slipjoint pliers are great if you can find them. Etc. etc. RT

mggilmore

Member II
Great post, lots of good suggestions. One tool that I really love is my leatherman. This tool has come to the rescue so many times over the past 20 years I've owned it.

Attachments

• leatherman.jpg
    leatherman.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 103