Sturgeon Bay to Sandusky Bay?

drcam1

Member II
I know this is a Great Lakes specific question, but not much action on that forum..... Looking to purchase and move an E27 from Sturgeon Bay, WI to Sandusky Bay, OH. Any thoughts on the approximate time required for such a trip and the pros/cons vs having the boat delivered by ground? Obviously, the benefit to me is an extended period of time on the boat with the PO.

Cameron

Lucky Dog

Member III
We had a 35II moved from the Whitehall, MI to Afton MN 4 years ago. It took three days and cost a little over a thousand dollars. mntransportation.com A family run run business and the did a great job.

I had tought about bring it closer, to Wisconsin but I was not sure of the condition and was running out of vacation time.

I think I saw that boat posted.

Good luck

tenders

Innocent Bystander
By water, that looks like 10 full days of stress, sailing, and motoring. Unless you (and the current owner and/or crew) have no time constraints I'd put it on a truck.

I moved my boat once on a truck from San Diego to Erie, PA and once by water from Erie, PA through the Erie Canal to NYC. I should have used a truck for the second trip.

aquavit

Member II
It's a sailboat, Sail her home! We purchased ours just north of Chicago and sailed it to Penetanguishene Ontario, roughly the same distance and 9 days of fun and adventure. Enlist the help of friends if the wife is not enthused. I would do it again if I had the opportunity. Do you need crew?

Glenn (Aquavit)
Who's wife just said "you're not doing it"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
8-10 days

You should be able to plan on an average of 5 knots without problems for the delivery by sailing and motoring when the breeze is light. That is 120 nm per 24 hours on the water. I would shoot for every other night in port, and make an adventure out of it! You will sail through some beautiful waters and if you keep an eye on the weather you will be fine. An XM weather overlay on your GPS is the best! If and when you have a front coming with T-Storms, you can see exactly where the cells are, how big they are and how fast they are coming. This was huge for us in the last Mac Race on board Karma, and prevented a lot of damage by allowing the boats to be prepared when it hit (2 fatalities not withhstanding-that was a boat problem).

Could be the trip of a lifetime and a great experience. If you can make the time, sail her home!

S

markvone

Sustaining Member
Truck Delivery Pro's and Con's

I just shipped an E36RH cross country over the road 2800 miles CA to Annapolis, MD. Sailing via Panama was NOT an option. I would recommend sailing the boat yourself if it is in good shape, decently equiped and already in the water ready to go. You need the crew and time. I would recommend a delivery captain if you don't have the crew and time or the experience. I would have it trucked as the last option. Here are my Pro's and Con's of over the road delivery. Your costs will be less due to the shorter trip and smaller, simplier boat and the fact that it's NOT Santa Barbara.
PREP - It took 17 hrs to prep the boat for shipping, plus a few days storage and marina fees for loading the truck. I found a great broker/boat prep guy who was also a friend of the owner. He saved me 50% on labor over the local Boatyard ($$) and also saved me a second and/or third trip out to CA to do the prep. To be honest, I am glad I didn't do the prep, after seeing what an experienced boat prep guy did for me. I had no issues during the road delivery with any of the gear or the hull. Pros: Save effort and time for you, more experienced boat prep? Cons: Cost, have to find or know an honest boat prep guy (I got lucky). Much more risk of damage to parts and rig disassembled on a truck.
TRUCKING - I found a local MD boat delivery guy with a great record on Uship. He was out west delivering a boat and was coming home to MD regardless, so he did my delivery basically at cost. My shipper was a total pro and was on time at both ends and a pleasure to deal with. I had decided that I would pre-screen all the boat shippers on Uship and only use the best, fully insured, best rating shippers. This eliminates the lowest 50% of bids in the typical shipping estimate on Uship and leaves you with experienced quality boat specific shippers who will bid against each other but still cost $2.5-4/per mile depending on his backhaul. The more time you can allow for a shipper to work out a two-way delivery, the lower your price will be. Pros: Saves time, unless you wait weeks for a lower price. Cons: Cost, have to find honest qaulity shipper, more risk to boat on highway than at sea.
UNLOAD - I dropped my boat right into the water from the truck, but the rig needed complete re-assembly.
RE-RIG - I decided to have experienced rigging pros inspect my 30 year old rig and do some needed upgrades and repairs at the same time since it was down and apart. Figure half the total boat prep to re-assemble the rig without any repairs. Pros: Rig down to inspect/work on. Cons: Cost, risk of damage, time.

The bottom line is the logistics of finding the right people and the cost of the prep and re-assembly are considerable and would probably cover a delivery captain unless you can do most of them yourself. You could certainly travel with the delivery captain and learn a lot and have an adventure if you have the time but lack the experience. You could also do part of the trip if you are time limited. I didn't have a choice and my delivery went incredably well, but it wasn't cheap and the logistics were daunting.

Mark

spencer

Member II
did the run from Charlevoix to Cleveland +/- 525 miles in 12 days. 8 actually sailing and 4 for bad weather in May of 2001. Would not recomment you try it now say Oct as the weather can turn on you. Someone told me that trucking is about $2.00 per mile. Not sure that this is true. Good luck with whatever you do

Grizz

Grizz
Split the Difference?

Not sure if you're trying to complete this move to Sandusky this year, but I'd look at this as a 'Combo Effort' and organize it this way:
  • Sail the boat :) with the PO on board for all (or part) of a passage south from Sturgeon Bay to Chicago. Learn all you can, take notes, sail as much as you can, motor when your speed drops below your agreed upon 'Mendoza Line'. There are ample ports along the way, some with rail transportation connections (Amtrak or Metra), handy if you have crew arriving mid-trip.
  • Contract to have the boat delivered by truck from Chicago to Sandusky
  • Crowley's Yacht Yard is a full service yard located at the SE tip of Chicago, almost Indiana. (I have no affiliation, just knowledge) with the ability to lift-and-place your boat on the contracted truck. Easy access to/from the Indiana Toll Road, a straight shot east to Sandusky. You'll have to step the mast, but you knew that already!
  • By car, it's approximately a 5 hour drive to Sandusky from this location. This will minimize the freight, not eliminate it (obviously).
  • Depending upon weather :confused:, the trip from Sturgeon Bay to Chicago will take 3-5+ days, factoring overnights, less if you decide to include a 12 or 24 hour passage in the mix.
  • Remember to have fun, as this is certainly part of the adventure!

u079721

Contributing Partner
I would do it on the water, but ONLY if you were willing to go into motoring delivery mode with overnights either straight through or over several weekends.

We bought our E38 in Michigan City, Indiana, down by Chicago. To deliver it some 540 miles to Bay City, Michigan I got a couple of guys together and we left Friday evening, went straight through to Hammond Bay on Lake Huron, caught a few hours of sleep, and left the boat further on in Presque Isle on Sunday. The following weekend we picked the boat up on Saturday morning and overnighted it to Bay City by Sunday. I've also made it from Bay City to Lake St Clair by Detroit in a single overnight passage too. And Sandusky Bay is (I would think) just an overnight from Detroit.

So one weekend (three day?) to get to say Rogers City or Presque Isle. Another overnight the second weekend to get to Harbor Beach, or a second three day weekend to get the boat to Lake St Clair. And then a final jump down to Sandusky Bay. Or maybe straight through in five days? Downside to the weekend approach would be lots of driving.

By the time you factor in gas, hotels, and marina stays this might not be that cheap though. Still, let us know what the overland estimate for trucking is!

Last edited:

Tri-Again

Did you do it?

Curious if you made the trip. Would be fun to read a blog on it.
:rolleyes:
My two cents: The E27 seems to have a target speed of 5.2 knots(GPS speed) - sail or power. We have pushed 7 knots on a reach with an assymetric cruising kite, but generally she will top out at 6 knots in optimal conditions, but realistically you need to to factor in about a 4 knot cruising speed when planning trips.

My wife and I learned the "4 knot rule" from an older sailing couple: If the boat drops below 4 knots (for say, 4 minutes) then its time to fire up the "Iron Genny" (in our case a reliable but ragged-looking Atomic 4) This keeps her from going nuts as she can pass the time on a boat as long as its moving along nicely. Happy wives make happy skippers.

Good news is most of your trip is downstream. You will have some current pushing you the right direction - espescially in the St. Clair and Detroit rivers. probably also in the Macinac Straits.
:egrin:

drcam1

Member II
Did not make the trip. Actually made a great deal on an E32-200 right in Sandusky, OH. Beautiful boat and no need to deliver. Now I can plan a long trip purely for pleasure!

drcam1

Member II
Hull #807. I don't know how to link to another thread, but the pics are under "Ariel's first race" in the forum Cruising and Racing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Attaching Links

Hull #807. I don't know how to link to another thread, but the pics are under "Ariel's first race" in the forum Cruising and Racing.

Cameron, There might be more elegant ways to reference another thread from within your current one, but the way I do it is....
First leave up the current thread on the screen. Second, open up a second browser window in this site and navigate to the thread that I want.
While in that other thread, click on Thread Tools and then on Email This Page. Then select/copy the URL in that short message. Go back to the other window on your screen with the current thread and paste in that URL by adding to the not-yet-posted reply or editing the reply you have.
(Other will always copy the URL at the top of the browser window on that second window, but it often has the clutter of the search parameters added on that I just used to find the older thread. Looks cluttered, to me.)
All this verbiage might alreadybe in the site FAQ somewhere, but I do not spot it off hand....
haven't had coffee yet this am.

Regards,
Loren
:nerd: