Stupid question on chain plate orientation on a 1978 ericson Mk II

patharold

So about a year ago I was sailing my 1978 ericson Mk II in a race when I was keeled way over and my chain plate came crashing through the deck. Since then I have replaced the rotten bulk head and now am about to drill through the re-fiberglassed deck and put my chain plate in. My question is do the chain plates on the port and starboard bulk heads mirror one another, Being positioned towards the bow side of both bulk heads, or are they for some reason positioned backwards(i.e. Port chain plate facing the bow and the starboard facing aft)? I assume they are both on the bow side but my measurements got a little off and I want to be sure.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Which Ericson?

Which model Ericson do you have? I have a 1979 E35 Mark II. The chain plates for the cap and intermediate shrouds are identical in size and placement, on the aft side of the bulkheads they are bolted to.

The forward lower shrouds are connected to smaller chain plates also bolted to the aft side of a bulkhead.

The aft lower shrouds are (strangely) connected to an unreinforced deck attachment.

Maybe now is a good time to get new chain plates too.

So about a year ago I was sailing my 1978 ericson Mk II in a race when I was keeled way over and my chain plate came crashing through the deck. Since then I have replaced the rotten bulk head and now am about to drill through the re-fiberglassed deck and put my chain plate in. My question is do the chain plates on the port and starboard bulk heads mirror one another, Being positioned towards the bow side of both bulk heads, or are they for some reason positioned backwards(i.e. Port chain plate facing the bow and the starboard facing aft)? I assume they are both on the bow side but my measurements got a little off and I want to be sure.

patharold

I have a 35' 1978 Ericson Mk II and it seems the largest, middle chain plate and nuts located on the port side are located foreword of the bulk head and the tops of the screws are located aft. I'm not sure what the correct name for this chain plates called.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
That should be the chain plate for the cap shrouds and the intermediate shrouds. On my boat, the chain plate measures about 3.5" wide, maybe a couple of feet long, and about 3.8" thick, right? At least on my boat, it's mounted on the aft side of the bulkhead, but there's a wooden cover that gets screwed over it. The arrow points to the location, but you can't see the chain plate because of that wooden cover.

On the forward side of the bulkhead, the shelving and cabinet for the sink (in the head) are installed throughout most of the area where the chain plate would be installed. It seems odd to me that the chain plates would be installed in a staggered fashion as you describe, but maybe others will comment on this.

IMG_0115.jpg

I have a 35' 1978 Ericson Mk II and it seems the largest, middle chain plate and nuts located on the port side are located foreword of the bulk head and the tops of the screws are located aft. I'm not sure what the correct name for this chain plates called.

CaptDan

Member III
After I rebuild my rotten bulkhead, I replaced the chain plates and added backing plates on the forward part of the bulkhead. Then, I followed a tip from an old timer on this forum - replacing the screws on the mahogany chain plate covers with dowels. That makes the covers 'quick release' - easy removal
for frequent water intrusion inspection.

Capt Dan G>
E35II "Kunu"

kapnkd

kapnkd
After I rebuild my rotten bulkhead, I replaced the chain plates and added backing plates on the forward part of the bulkhead. Then, I followed a tip from an old timer on this forum - replacing the screws on the mahogany chain plate covers with dowels. That makes the covers 'quick release' - easy removal
for frequent water intrusion inspection.

Capt Dan G>
E35II "Kunu"

Thanks for passing on that tip! ...We've replaced the bulkheads on our '73 E-32II which also has the wooden covers. We thought about leaving the screws exposed, but really like the idea of the dowels for a more finished/factory look.

SUPER!!!

patharold

After much investigation it seems my starboard chainplate was mounted aft of the bulk head and the port bulkheads chainplate is mounted foreword, possibly something that happened as an aftermarket fix I guess. Thanks for the help.