Stuffing box spins

C. Trembanis

Member III
Help anyone. I have noticed that when the engine (transmission)is engaged, the prop shaft spins. However so does the stuffing box compression nut, locknut and stuffing box body. This seems to have been happening all along these four years of ownership. The S-:confused: Box does leak. Please advice.
Regards Chris

CaptnNero

Accelerant
golly day !

Help anyone. I have noticed that when the engine (transmission)is engaged, the prop shaft spins. However so does the stuffing box compression nut, locknut and stuffing box body. This seems to have been happening all along these four years of ownership. The S-:confused: Box does leak. Please advice.
Regards Chris

What makes you think this has been happening for four years ?

Sounds to me like the spring clamps on the stern tube hose need to be tightened or even replaced. Since the intended stationary items have been rotatating instead then where they contact and the things that they contact may be damaged and in a dangerous unseaworthly, much less dockworthy condition.

Besides that I would get a marine mechanic professional involved to evaluate the fitness of the aforementioned components for any further use.

Finally, regular inspection of such systems should be done so this sort of dangerous condition will not be allowed to occur in the future. When you get with a good mechanic maybe that person can help tutor you on thorough preventive maintenance.

Good luck.

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Hi Chris, I gotta say, that don't sound so very good. Where do you keep your boat in Tacoma ? I'm at Chinook Landing. Maybe we can hook up and take a look-see. I work evenings, but send me an e mail, we'll chat. Harold S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
It should look something like this when properly installed. Thought a visual might help. Those hose clamps need to be snug.

Attachments

• stuffing_box.jpg
    stuffing_box.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 723

Glyn Judson

Who's stuffing box is that?

Jeff, That stuffing box must be a photo from a catalog because I don't know anyone who has one that nice. I must say though, I like the color of mine better, a lovely, fuzzy shade of marine green instead of Christmas present gold. ; - ) Glyn

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Jeff, That stuffing box must be a photo from a catalog because I don't know anyone who has one that nice. I must say though, I like the color of mine better, a lovely, fuzzy shade of marine green instead of Christmas present gold. ; - ) Glyn

Glyn, yeah I know. The marine green on my old one kind of resonated with some of the green in the resin of the hull around it ;) .

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
It should look something like this when properly installed. Thought a visual might help. Those hose clamps need to be snug.

Geeze, Jeff - it looks like you could eat off your engine compartment floor! Who does your housekeeping?? :p

//sse