Stuffing box E27

Jarod

Member III
Has anyone serviced an e27 stuffing box while in the water ....atomic 4 engine...please respond if you have done it and are familiar with the situation iam in....brutal access in the 27

thank jarod

Jarod

Member III
also would it hurt anything to open up a large hole at teh back of the engine compartment for better access...my thinking is that if I every have an emergency with the packing gland I will have no access ....not too mention it will be much easier to service from the engine compartment...after cutting the hole maybe i could make a removable panel???

thanks jarod

Walter Pearson

Member III
Access to Packing Box

Even with the boat out of the water, my bouts with the packing box were not fun. When I had to do a prop strut replacement, I figured some room would be nice, so I did a quarterberth cutout and it makes stuffing box work almost enjoyable. I was concerned that I was weakening the structure, but it's been several years now and I don't see any problems. My cutout is probably bigger than needed for just stuffing box work, so that might simplify things for you should you make an opening. I had no idea what I was up against with the prop strut, so I went big. And since I planned on using the cutout piece to cover the opening, I only had one shot at it. A sketch is attached. If it isn't readable, I can send it direct if you are interested. This is all assuming your quarterberth is the same as mine - I have seen some variations in the E27.

Walter Pearson

Member III
I sent the file to you in an e-mail attachment. Now that I look again at the attachment manager window, the file size went over the limit.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
E-27 Stuffing Box Access.

Hey Jarod,

I think we discussed this before on a previous thread. My boat already had a access hole cut. Makes it a bit easier but still hard to get to. I have to reach over the engine now and get in there with a pipe wrench and channel locks. I have noticed on other E-27s that there is only a hole for the shaft to go through. That would mean the only access would be through the lazarette. I like the big access hole my boat has. I lined the raw edges with a split plastic hose so I don't get scratched up when I have to get in there. See the Pics!

Here's what I said before.

Sorry, No A-4 here but I do have a E-27 with the little Yanmar 1GM10. Not a fun job. I have done it once and then it kept dripping. Had my mechanic tighten it up because he had the right tools. Been snugly stuffed for years now. Thinking of re packing just for maintenance. I now have a new exhaust box that sits on a little plywood bridge right over the packing, so it's even more involved to do the job now. As I recall, it's barely enough room or get it open for me as well.

Attachments

• P1010001_31.jpg
    P1010001_31.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 115
  • P1010010_18.jpg
    P1010010_18.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 94

rgoff

Member III
When I first got my 1973 E27 (used) it had the traditional stuffing box. I accessed it by removing the large stock access panel in the stbd quarterberth (and/or maybe the one behind the engine, over the stuffing box .... it's been a while). It definitely was a pain.

After messing with this a couple of times I installed a dripless one (PSS, LasDrop, etc.) and have never regretted it.

I understand these days they have some sort of teflon stuff for traditional packing glands that doesn't require much adjustment after the intial one.

Good luck,

Jarod

Member III
thanks for the responses

I think i have this issue licked....got angry and made a nice big access hole at the back of the engine compartment to give myself access to the stuffing box...I also rectified my original packing nut issue by removing the clamps and pushing the entire stuffing box/threaded pipe towards the prop, which allowed me enough movement to back off the packing nut entirely. I am not too sure but it appeared that the last guy to service this thing did not push the threaded pipe towards the stern tube as far as it would go. In any case if any of you other 27 owners have this issue as some seem to have had. It is not a design flaw.