strut leak 38-200

jimk

Member II
Having my boat hauled today because I discovered a slow leak around the forward glass joint that covers the strut embedment. This has been an ongoing leak maybe a 1/2 cup a day for several years and been extremely hard to find. Only after cutting a new access hatch into the cabin sole did find the source. The strut is firm no wobble as of 2 years ago when I last hauled and the leak has be there for many years prior.
My question how to approach this, access is limited however after moving the fuel tank back this should help. Planning on removing the fiberglass taping that covers the strut looking for a void either in the glassing or bedding of the strut. I looking for any ideas or photos that would help understand the hidden area.
jim

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Jim,

I don't think we know what the "strut" is. Can you post a picture or tell us what it connects to or what it supports?

Craig

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jim,

I don't think we know what the "strut" is. Can you post a picture or tell us what it connects to or what it supports?

Craig

This is the cast bronze strut that holds the prop shaft in place under the boat.
LB

jimk

Member II
lifting a boat by the strut BAD IDEA

Loren as always is correct he has also seen my strut pushed through the bottom of my boat because a local boat yard accidently placed the lifting strap under the strut and started lifting. Apparently there was a loud pop when theY realized what they’d done not sure what happen after that, I’m sure water was pouring in and they quickly lowered the boat and moved the strap into the correct position and got the boat out of the water. The Boat is now on the hard with the strut, prop shaft and prop being looked at for damage. I suspect I will need a new strut perhaps a prop shaft. The good thing is after several weeks on the hard the small leak should now be curried.<O:p</O:p
i have a photo but having trouble posting it.
<O:p
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype class=inlineimg id=_x0000_t75 title="Stick Out Tongue" alt="" border="0" src="images/smilies/tongue.gif" smilieid="6" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" v:shapetype o<>><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><o:lock alt=
</o:lock><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_1 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 150pt; HEIGHT: 112.5pt; mso-wrap-style: square" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\jim\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:title="photo (2)"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

</v:shapetype>

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Ygbsm!

Ok, remedial reading comprehension for me.

Sorry to hear about the damage. Let's hope they do a better job with the repairs than they did with the first lift.

Craig