Stripping a boat.

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Ok, for all of the hardcore Ericson owners I will now appoligize for what I am about to say. I am purchasing a Ericson to part out. I will not need the hull. I am not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions? How do you dispose of something like that after you have taken all the parts away?

Thanks for your input and help. I know I will hate tearing it apart. Getting rid of one of the finest boats made for its parts doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
If the keel is lead you can cut that off and sell it for scrap.

When you're down to fiberglass, I'd rent a dumpster, and take a chainsaw to it.

Have fun. :p

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Dig a hole in your back yard for the keel to sit in and convert it to the world's coolest hottub!:egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

jkm

Member III
cut a few feet off of the bow stick to one end of the house

cut a few feet of the stern and stick it to the other end

Put the mast on your roof

On a nice Sunday sit in the stern with a beer and steer your house.

You'll get in the local paper as a nut!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
If he's purchasing to part it out, (ie sell anything of value off it), then he won't be able to donate it to any organization. They won't take a boat that is missing everything of value, because then they'll just have to pay for the dumpster themselves.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Dumpster or landfill. Check with local authorities. Some have size limits on what you can take to the dump. We aer having a chainsaw party sunday with a friend's Rainbow. Get extra chains/blades though. Having done this before I can tell you fiberglass is hell on the chainsaw.

HGSail

Member III
Wes,

Yes it's sad when one gets put out to pasture, But it lives on in yours. I would ask one of your local boat yards what they do in a salvage situation. Or what salvage company is used in your area and ask them.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Thank you all

Hey,

I love the house idea. Will have it towed away to the dump I guess.

Will strip all of value though. Lose one Ericson, Make one a lot nicer.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More Recycle notes

Minor suggestions, and maybe not applicable to your situation:
but a local boat yard once had a junked-out Cal 20 hull to dispose of and they kept the lower part of the bow section, installed an frp tube in it, mounted it on a base, and it is used as a display and sales tool to promote and sell bow thrusters at shows... also handy to show potential customers for this upgrade just what the glass work will look like.

Another use for some of the boat: if you ever imagine that you or your friends might need some flat sections of frp material for backing plates for future projects, saw 'em out of cockpit side wall sections now and set 'em aside. If this Ericson has the older mahogany interior, carefully remove all the trim pieces and ply pieces for recycling -- good clear "exotic" wood nowadays sells by the pound and ounce around here! If it is teak, this is even more true. :boohoo:

Best of luck,

Loren in PDX

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Find a seafood restaurant and donate it to them to set out front as a sign or burn it in your backyard. Both have been done by RSC members. The donation works fine, you might go to jail if you burn a boat in your neighborhood.

The burning had frightening results, with no accelerants the hull burned leaving only the glass fiber and a small hunk of the transom. Makes you want several extinguishers on the boat.

Galley_Slave

Member II
Put it on eBay. It's amazing to see all the "junque" you can buy there. (Not implying your boat is junk, mind you!) You can put a really low dollar value on it and see what you get. Could be there's a wannabe sailor out there that can't afford to buy a boat all set up, but is willing to work on the interior. Does the boat have a deck?