Strictly Sail Chicago - Anyone going?

BrianSokol

I'm planning to be there both days this weekend, leaving plenty early to catch the Bears on Sunday.

Anyone else going? Any interest in trying to meet up?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Saturday

I plan on lurking around the show on Saturday-most likely between 11-2 ish.
S

Mindscape

Member III
The 'Karma'

Seth - was that your Karma at the show? Ok not excatly yours but the one you race on? She looked in good shape, if was the boat you race you must be very nice to her while squeezing knots out of her.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Yep

That was the new Karma-this year's Mac ride....She is owned by the dealer (Karma Yachts)...deal is they have to have the "latest" model as a demonstrator, so they sold the last one over the winter, and upgraded to the new model. The big diff is the pedestal arrangement-much better for the driver's seating position, and the new girl gets real instruments (woo hoo!) for me to play with....Somehow we managed the last 3 wins with raymarine stuff (not to trash the raymarine gear, but for racing it is not as capable as the B&G gear)...
No excuses this year, I guess!

Cheers,
S

Mindscape

Member III
Insturments

Excuses - didn't you win your class the last couple of years?? the other guys are going to start asking for handicaps:egrin:

Your comment on Raymarine vs. B&G is interesting, what makes an instrument better for racing? On our pier a couple of us have used Raymarine and are ok with them, but we aren't racing seriously.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
B&g

The biggest and best feature is the ability to download the boats' polars and have one of the screens display target speeds for a given wind speed and wind angle. This way you have something meaningful to gauge your performance against. You can set the system so that it "learns"-meaning that if you exceed the loaded target speed in a given condition, it will update the polars and make them even more accurate.

Other benefits are better processors so that things like opposite tack angle, true wind speed and angle calculations are more accurate, and those BIG bright displays mounted on the back of the mast are WONDERFUL for night sailing!

Here are a couple of shots showing some nice form in this years' Mac

S

Attachments

• Karmacool.bmp.jpg
    Karmacool.bmp.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Karmadownhill.jpg
    Karmadownhill.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: