Stove Fuel Supply

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
For the first time since buying the boat I tried the stove. I believe the stove is original (CSI Gas Systems). There is a NEWTEC gas detection control unit which is enabled via a breaker and must be turned on to allow gas flow. I don't know if the control unit is original or not. The company no longer seems to be in existence. When I turn the control unit on it keeps alarming (beeping and flashing red light rather than a solid green light). Since I can't find any info on the control unit I'm not sure what it's telling me nor how to do any troubleshooting. Any thoughts?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In general, all of the gas detection devices on board have a built-in expiration date on their sensors. Those little "sniffer" chips might last a decade or even more, depending on ambient air quality, but unfortunately they do stop functioning.

Next, all sensitive electronics on board are vulnerable to salt air and vibration. The better-built ($) ones will resist Entropy a lot longer, but all will have their limits. Having installed and pondered the install instructions for both gas/propane detectors and CO2 detectors, my guess is that they are built to give an indication when the main sensing part has loss its mojo. Either with a light or the alarm itself.

First, are you sure that, for whatever reason, there is not a small amount of escaped CNG on board? Likely not, but trouble shooting has to start somewhere.
It's not unusual to find the expiration date on a tag on the back of the unit when it's unmounted. Those dates are often about 5 to 7 years from the manufacture date. (And that's not the date it was bought, after sitting on a shelf.)
You probably will have to start over with a new "sniffer" device, choosing from what's available for sale now. And, hoping to find something that covers the hole or surface where the previous one lived for decades.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Some of the reducing-gas detecters are "hot wire" thermal conductivity detectors. They will alarm upon low voltage (low battery) or high resistance conditions. (Some of the older ones alarm until they "warm up," literally.) So apart from the unit itself, check wiring, connections, corrosion. But if no obvious fault can be found, it may indeed be time for a new unit.

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
Some of the reducing-gas detecters are "hot wire" thermal conductivity detectors. They will alarm upon low voltage (low battery) or high resistance conditions. (Some of the older ones alarm until they "warm up," literally.) So apart from the unit itself, check wiring, connections, corrosion. But if no obvious fault can be found, it may indeed be time for a new unit.
Looks like mine needs to, as you said, warm up. I gave it 30 seconds or so and it settled down and works fine. Not sure if it's a sign it might not last long but right now seems OK. Thanks.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Slow warm-up can still be caused by loose or corroded connections - worth checking. Or it could be the detector itself corroding.
The newer Xintex detectors have to warm up too, but it only takes about one second.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I’ve owned my boat for over 15 years and am on my second Trident gas sensor. They do wear out over time. One test I suggest is to turn on your stove again, at the breaker and the sensor control panel, but don’t open the valve on the gas tank. If you get an alarm and red light then the problem is probably not a gas leak but rather a bad sensor, faulty corroded wiring or even low battery voltage. All there have happened to me over the years.