Stove & Fridge options on E-35 MK-2

DirtyMartini

Hi everyone. I just bought a 35-ii with the gally maid pressurized alcohol stove/oven. I don't think I need an oven and seems like a waste of space. Also, my ice box refrigeration unit isn't working.

I was thinking of replacing the stove with a 2 burner propane stove and installing a refrigerator (maybe an ARB?) below. Has anyone done something like this? I'd like to go fully solar and/or wind dependent but still have a refrigeration and assume the ice box refer unit won't be very efficient. What do you think? Install a self contained refer or fix the ice box unit?

Marshall

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I love the Norcold ice box conversion kit--a bit pricey but has been great. If you did that it would fit in your ice box and you would have extra storage below your two burner propane stove top. We rarely use the oven on our propane stove and probably wouldn't miss it if we didn't have it. Sounds like a good change.
Frank

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi Marshall,

Guess it depends on how you'll use the boat. Here's what I've done so far on my boat, a 35-II. When I first got it 5 years ago, it had no stove, but did have an older Adler Barbour refrigeration unit (still works, but looks bad). I installed a used non-gimbaled Force 10 propane stove w/ oven and broiler along with a stern rail-mounted propane tank. I posted about that here (post #11): http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?9678-E29-owners-Where-is-your-propane-tank. I got plenty of good use out of this system, but could only use it at anchor or at the dock. Still, it was great for the weekend cruises around the SF Bay.

I'm planning longer voyages now, and so the non-gimbaled stove had to go. I replaced it a few months ago with an Eno 2-burner gimbaled stove/oven (no broiler). It's slightly smaller all around than the Force10 stove and so had to put in a few blocks of wood to make up the difference in width, but it doesn't look bad to my eye.

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 42

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan B, maybe

We have really liked the Origo 6000 range on our 34 footer for a couple of decades, and the two burner cooker model 3000 version is available separately if you do not want an oven.
As you probably know the Origo uses NON pressurized alcohol and has none of the safety problems of the old pressure-type alcohol stoves.
No hoses, or pumps, or sensors, or external tanks, or.... well, you get the picture...
:nerd:

Anyhow, there are alternatives if you are starting over.

Cheers,
Loren

EGregerson

Member III
oven

I've never used my oven; as an oven. It does serve as storage for coffee pot and toaster; and faraday cage for handheld things like cell phone, gps, etc during storms. The reefer is great, just having one is worth the effort. The power it pulls depends on air and water temp; up north the compressor hardly runs; in the keys it runs a lot. There are insulation posts on this site you can look at. I've had a running debate over more panels vs don't clutter up the boat. Finally settled on 2 small panels; total 100 watts or about 8 amps. They can run the reefer and lights, etc; when at anchor running stereo, tv, computer transformer, I'll charge with a honda 1000. It fits under the chart table, and will run appliances like coffee pot, waffle iron, toaster, shop vac, elec tools. Welcome to the club.

lnill

Member III
I have a 38-200. When I redid the galley, I replaced the old Adler Barbour which had died and beefed up the insulation in the lid. I switched from CNG to propane and installed this 2 burner Force 10 http://www.force10.com/combo.html. I put a microwave on the shelf below. Good for warming up morning coffee, etc and you can store pots and pans in it. It is a 750 watt unit so doesn't need a massive inverter.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 537

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Refrigeration and power

I've been taking a look at power requirements and attended the singlehanded Transpac electrical seminar last fall. They discussed several strategies for saving and generating power, but the consensus was that refrigeration is a power hog. They've published an Excel file to help work out daily power consumption, factoring in alternative energy sources like solar (which rarely deliver rated output, certainly not for the whole day), with the intent of knowing for how long you'd have to run your engine to charge the batteries, and even then only up to about 85% of full charge.

I've worked through the numbers for my boat based on actual draw of each device, and my best scenario so far puts the use of refrigeration at over 50% of my total power consumption. That's based on actual power draw from my existing Adler Barbour. With two 65 watt solar panels, it won't be enough to recharge the batteries and maintain the same level of usage....I'll quickly deplete the batteries past the 50% mark...not good for the batteries. So if away from the dock for more than a couple of days, that leaves us with running the engine. But even with a 35A alternator (what I have on my stock Yanmar 3GM30F), I'd have to run the engine for a while before the batteries were sufficiently charged...which means carrying sufficient fuel...probably just fine for coastal cruising, where motoring is expected. Offshore like the Transpac guys, I'd expect an alternator with a higher output to minimize fuel consumption, and/or adding more devices to produce power.

Christian detailed an alternator upgrade here:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ctron-Monitor-and-Cockpit-Gauges-Splash-Guard

You can view the Transpac seminar materials (great resource!) published by the good folks at the SF Singlehanded Sailing Society here:
http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2016/seminars/

So this all has got me reconsidering what's realistic. With some solar panels or plenty of expected motoring and fuel access, I don't see that having refrigeration needs to break the bank (further). Offshore, running refrigeration means being more deliberate about having a cold beverage.

Attachments

• EBudget.PNG
    EBudget.PNG
    56.5 KB · Views: 244

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do you have to run a refrigerator 15 hours a day to have a cold beer once in a while?

My total offshore use was 20-23 amp hour a day. Why run a VHF, "instruments," chartplotter 24 hours? Unless in shipping lanes (or for race rules).

My only 24-hour use is the AIS, which draws .5 amph. No running lights far offshore, stern light blinds you and any sense of security is ridiculous.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Hey Christian,

I didn't mean to lead us into a broader discussion about offshore electrical use. The point I was trying to illustrate was the potentially large impact of using 12V refrigeration aboard, and that a couple of moderately-sized solar panels may not be able to keep up with the increased demand. I think the OP was wondering about that. Those figures in the screenshot are sample data from the spreadsheet downloadable from the site. I did add in a line for refrigeration to show impact.

For my own use, I don't have a lot of confidence in my old Adler Barbour and won't be relying on or improving it. So, if I get any usage, it'll be a nice bonus and probably when when its hot and solar production is better than good.

Do you have to run a refrigerator 15 hours a day to have a cold beer once in a while?

My total offshore use was 20-23 amp hour a day. Why run a VHF, "instruments," chartplotter 24 hours? Unless in shipping lanes (or for race rules).

My only 24-hour use is the AIS, which draws .5 amph. No running lights far offshore, stern light blinds you and any sense of security is ridiculous.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
FWIW, we also installed the Norcold Ice Box Converter (after removing the original engine driven compressor). It works wonderfully however I would not consider using the unit on a passage. We run it at the dock full time and pack the ice box with frozen provisions before setting off. Items will stay cold for many days without running the fridge. When we arrive, we turn it back on.

mfield

Member III
The oven on our Seaward stove was not working when we got the boat and we quickly replaced it a brand new stove that was a drop in replacement. It works wonderfully well and propane is very cheap at the moment.

My vote is that the stove is much more worthwhile than refrigeration. Without the stove we would not be able to eat lasagna (brought from home in 2 pound loaf pan) on a Saturday night. A couple of gallon bags of ice keep the icebox cool for three days for meat, cheese and cream.

I don't think I would trust refrigeration for a long voyage so cans, jars and dried foods would have to do. Switching to red wine (in those handy Ericson wine racks) helps cut down on the need for cold beer.