Steering Wire Cable Replacement, YS and Edson

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Need to get new steering cables for 1982 Ericson 38?
SIZE & LENGTH...?
and best place to buy?
Any tips on doing this? THANKS, as always

Pete the Cat

Member III
I am not sure if you have the Yacht Specialties binnacle and steering gear or the Edson brand. Edson is still in business and sells the cable repair kit. It is very important to make sure that you have the same cable ends for either brand as they have narrow clearances, but I think a rigger could make a new one for you from the old one. I am sure there is a Youtube video on the process of removing and reinstalling the system. It is not difficult, but requires some patience and care. I would be interested in what is leading you to replace them.
Generally, with the binnacle open at the top, you remove the cable bolts on the quadrant. Attach messenger lines to each and pull the chain and attached cables straight up and out. Once out, you put the new cables in place and reverse the process with the messenger lines. The cables and turning blocks should be lubricated periodically and tightened. Not bar tight but snugs so there is no play in the wheel to rudder connection. FWIW. If maintained, cables will last a long time. While you havef the whole thing apart, consider servicing the wheel brake. This brake will save your steering system from moving and wear when on a mooring or at anchor.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have a good recent upload for YS gear (although YS long out of business).

Note that the connection of the wire to the chain inside the pedestal uses a special fitting (diagram below) . An eye doesn't work there because it's too big for the space and the cables bind. The actual length of the wire to the quadrant isn't critical, because you can make the connection to the quadrant with a loop and cable clamps, and just cut off excess wire.

But as Pete says, the original cable is pretty robust, is yours damaged?

note fitting Yacht Specialties Merriman chain.JPG...YS connectors.JPG

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
I am not sure if you have the Yacht Specialties binnacle and steering gear or the Edson brand. Edson is still in business and sells the cable repair kit. It is very important to make sure that you have the same cable ends for either brand as they have narrow clearances, but I think a rigger could make a new one for you from the old one. I am sure there is a Youtube video on the process of removing and reinstalling the system. It is not difficult, but requires some patience and care. I would be interested in what is leading you to replace them.
Generally, with the binnacle open at the top, you remove the cable bolts on the quadrant. Attach messenger lines to each and pull the chain and attached cables straight up and out. Once out, you put the new cables in place and reverse the process with the messenger lines. The cables and turning blocks should be lubricated periodically and tightened. Not bar tight but snugs so there is no play in the wheel to rudder connection. FWIW. If maintained, cables will last a long time. While you havef the whole thing apart, consider servicing the wheel brake. This brake will save your steering system from moving and wear when on a mooring or at anchor.
Thanks...NO Riggers in Nicaragua! Great Tips.

I'm 84 and doing what I can with my Sea Scouts.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If the yacht specialties part is no longer available and the Edson part doesn't fit, what are the other options? Dyneema with eye splices going through the chain pin?

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Replaced the chain and cables last fall, on my E31.
The original (as far as I know) YS chain had the size stamped on some of the links. On my boat, there was enough cable length to pull the chain partially out of the binnacle and measure it for length. Using that info, and info from the catalog Christian posted, I was able to choose the proper Edson chain-wire kit from their website.
Because of limited access to the cable sheaves, measuring the original cable length was a bit of a guess, but I just ordered slightly longer than I thought I needed and cut off the excess.
The Edson part fit perfectly. It's not cheap, but with proper maintenance it will probably outlast me.