Steering Sprocket help

Waviationman

Does anyone know where I can buy a Steering sprocket for my 1975 Ericson 29. The manufacturer is "Yacht Specialties" and Edson told me that their sprockets are not compatible.
The sprocket is a 50 by 11. I have been unsucessful so far.
Thanks..:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I know of at least two used-marine-parts stores in the NW with complete Y.S. pedistal steerers sitting on the floor, price negotiable... Many older boats are having new steering systems installed, so there are quite a few of these going in and out of the used market. Some will be identified as "Merriman" as well as Yacht Specialties, FWIW.
These steerers became very common on a variety of sailboats in the 70's and 80's, when builders found that new sailers wanted steering wheels, just like their cars.
:rolleyes:

You should check around the NE for another Y.S. unit to cannibalize.
(Sort of like... that scene in the Good, Bad , and the Ugly, wherein Tuco the bandit assembles a good revolver from parts of several others... and then... robs the gun shop owner! Well, maybe not too much like that scene....)
:)

Or, if you get a decent check from your rich great aunt on your birthday, install a new drag link steering system -- and catch up to modern times with a vengence!

Best of luck,

Loren in PDX
(same steering system on my '88 Olson)

escapade

Inactive Member
steering sprocket

You might also try your local bearing/power transmission supply house. They use similar sprockets for conveyors & such, and make them in stainless for the food & chemical industry. They will need to know the shaft diameter, chain pitch (#50 I believe), and the number of teeth. Take the old one along & you will probably be able to find a match. Good luck.
Bud E34 "Escapade"