Stanchion and rebedding.

dcoyle

Member III
Hi All
Plan on starting to repack deck hardware this fall on my E33. Read Lorens thread about the stanchion rebuild and have some questons. Did you dig out the core under the base and fill that with epoxy or did you just add a layer a layer of fg on the underside of deck? I was planning on removing the base, drilling larger boltholes, fill with epoxy then rebed with 4200. I would enjoy reading suggestions on this idea. Also can the stanchion bases be polished back to beautiful? ie there are little bits of rust on some of them, as well at the stanchions?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The shop can polish every part the buffer can reach... which means the little areas between the post and the rod reinforcement will never be quite as bright... but on ours you really cannot see the difference unless you impolitely study it at very close range...
:)
Unlike the bulk of the Ericsons, our particular design has no coring under the stanchion bases. I did need to reinforce underneath to prevent stress cracks, but at least this portion of the deck perimeter on an Olson has no intrinsic rot potential.

You have described the overdrill-and-epoxy routine well. I like the idea of adding the wider epoxy-cloth plates (aka "FR4" or "G10") underneath to add more strength. Those plates were about 5/16 or 1/4 inch thick and each was cut to fit, and bedded in thickened epoxy...
During this part of the project, gravity is not your friend... :mad:

Plan on dropping the headliner... and perhaps removing a bunch of staples... and perhaps replacing any corroded zipper pulls as well.

"All good clean fun!"
:cool:

Loren

Last edited: