Stainless Steel Handrails

Captron

Member III
I had a request for the info on my new hand rails so here's the scoop.

Let me start by saying … I hate varnishing … for me it has no socially redeeming qualities. All varnishing does, is take away from otherwise perfectly good sailing days. Sure it looks nice … for about two days. Then you get to do it all over again … ok … so you traditional folks out there, take it easy on me … besides they make Pacific Seacraft if you like varnish …

Ok so, my handrails on the cabin top needed refinishing … again!!! And I set about looking for suitable alternatives. Fortunately, I had a good friend that knew someone in the marine stainless rail fabrication business and after swapping some drawings (by the way I love PowerPoint for making line drawings), I got a quote … just under $100 … I jumped on it. My friend must have cashed some chips to get me these rails and I love him for it.

The rails are made from oval stainless steel tubing … it measures about 7/8 inch thick in the thin dimension… not sure on the other but maybe 9/8” or 10/8” something like that anyway. The trick is in getting them bent … the fabrication outfit bent these to my estimated 4” depth of curve measured in top view from the end points and flat in the horizontal view … turned out to be almost dead nuts on.

I drilled the holes myself … 36 in the top altogether and 18 in the bottom. I also made the starboard end caps (with my friend’s help) …. The rails are held in place with #12 x 1.75 inch self tapping screws.

The original wood rails were removed by chipping out the wood plugs concealing the screws holding the rails to the molded-in stanchions. The screws all backed out with no trouble after the glue or whatever was picked out of the Philips slots.

I then cleaned the tops of the stanchions with a ¾ inch chisel and an orbiting sander… filling the old screw holes with Marine-Tex.

The new rails were prepared by clamping and taping the old wood rails to the new ones and marking all the old screw holes. Then I made a template out of an old batten with two holes 3 inches apart. The template was aligned with the rail and centered, then jockeyed around a bit to avoid drilling new holes where the old ones were but within the limits of the stanchion ends.

Then the holes were drilled. A drill press would work better but I drilled all of the holes by hand with a 3/8 variable speed drill…. AND I cut all of the holes with the one drill bit. Now I said 36 holes but if you consider each hole passes through two layers of stainless, there’s really 72 holes … plus the 18 holes in the bottom of the rails… for drainage. About 90 holes in .065 stainless with one drill bit … not bad …for me anyway.

The trick to drilling stainless steel is several things. First use a cobalt steel drill bit that’s sharpened to an angle of between 135 degrees to 145 degrees (more is better it turns out). Then using plenty of cutting oil, drill very slowly with as much pressure on the drill bit as possible (a drill press helps here). The idea is to cut the metal not burn it. Slower is better and you should never exceed 300 rpm with these bits. Drill only until you see the first wisp of smoke and then re-oil the bit. A CNC machine would have a continuous oil batch on the drill and the work.

Counter sinking is another story … I ran through about 5 counter sink bits … the best ones are cone shaped with a single cutting edge formed by a diagonal hole running through it … they look like an old fashioned plumb bob. The high speed steel 5 fluted jobs you get at a hardware store just burn out. Again with the right counter-sink, … go slow, with lots of pressure.

The pictures show the result … the rails are bedded in 5200 and the first (or last screw) holds the end caps in place.

stainl1.jpg

stainl2.jpg

stainl3.jpg

stainl4.jpg

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Wow, very nice! The self tapping screws you used are just screwed into the fiberglass? Will that hold okay? I figured they would have to be through bolted.... Either way, they look great. RT

Captron

Member III
Stainless Rail Screws

I think the screws are adequate. The original rails were screwed down with similar sized screws. The molded in stanchions seem to have core material of some kind ... possibly wood? Anyway the screws seemed to bite ok.

FWIW, I did cut a slot in each of the screws, perpendicular to the threads at the pointy end ... (via Dremel tool and cut-off wheel) ... I think this gives the screws better thread cutting action especially when driving them into fiberglass. Also the pilot hole has to be sized right.

The screws probably could be 2" long with no problem. Through bolting would be stronger certainly but invoves drilling through the coach roof with the possibility of leaks ...

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Thanx for the info. I put the wooden rails back on for couple of reasons. I wasn't convinced that the bend on my E-34 was in only one plane and aligned with the axis of the oval. Also I would have had to plug all of the existing holes and re-drilled them because the originals were drilled by hand during assembly and were not aligned with anything.

The most important reason was that it was time to go sailing.