Spring?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I recently was looking at boats for sale on line, not looking to buy one...just looking, I’m sure a lot of us do it. On one boat I noticed a sort of spring thing holding up the Nav station table top. I’ve seen these before, they spring into place acting like a solid rod supporting the table top. To let the table down you just “break” the spring someplace in the middle and the spring folds up as the table goes down. Does anyone know where to buy one of these spring supports? I think its a good idea that I’d like to install.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Thanks all. I simply couldn’t find it on line. I guess that’s because I’m a baby boomer and not a cyber baby. :)

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
This style device has worked very well for me as an alternative to a spring. (This link is an example. It is not the one I have. Many similar items are available online.)
Chart table hold-up
Mike Jacker

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Ours has a spring that holds up the nav table top. Has worked flawlessly. What currently holds up your nav table top when opened?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Ours has a spring that holds up the nav table top. Has worked flawlessly. What currently holds up your nav table top when opened?
Me, which makes working with two hands a problem. :) No, actually I use a 12 inch ruler but that doesn't seem as "elegant" as the spring support and sometimes I need to use that ruler at the same time.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Thanks for asking this Bob, and the rest of you who chipped in with options. I ordered one last night, with a cyber discount and free shipping!
My buddy had one of these and they're great. Me? I was using my head.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Thanks for asking this Bob, and the rest of you who chipped in with options. I ordered one last night, with a cyber discount and free shipping!
My buddy had one of these and they're great. Me? I was using my head.
Yes, thanks to all those who answered. Mine is coming via Amazon in Friday! It's the littlest of things that sometimes makes you the happiest. ;)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One minor caution - these work best with an interior space deep enough for the doubled-over spring to have a place to be. A shallow area like the interior of a nav desk might be too limiting in space. Every boat will be different. Also, when the lid is up and 'held' and you hit that spring with an elbow, it may fold and allow that lid to fall. (Don't ask me how I know...)

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I ordered the friction hinges Mike posted and I'm looking forward to finally being able to use both hands without resting the desk on my head. It's been way to long struggling with this without thinking of this simple solution, Thank You!

On a similar topic, has anyone added a gas strut or one of these springs to their lazarette hatches? Those things weigh way more then the desk. My head and fingers would benefit from a fix there too.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I ordered the friction hinges Mike posted and I'm looking forward to finally being able to use both hands without resting the desk on my head. It's been way to long struggling with this without thinking of this simple solution, Thank You!

On a similar topic, has anyone added a gas strut or one of these springs to their lazarette hatches? Those things weigh way more then the desk. My head and fingers would benefit from a fix there too.
Be careful about installing that spring in the cockpit locker to keep the lid open, if you climb in there to do any maintenance, like checking tranny fluid, PSS, tightening hose clamps, lubricating steering parts, etc. If a strong wind gust, wave action or inadvertent contact with the spring caused the lid to fall and the lock clasp engage, you may never get out again. :(
My solution is a short bungy cord hooked thru the clasp/latch and then hooked over the lifeline with a bit of tension, holding the lid secure.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If a strong wind gust, wave action or inadvertent contact with the spring caused the lid to fall and the lock clasp engage, you may never get out again
Our model has the lock correctly oriented so that the hinged part is on the bottom. If yours is not this way, change it. (!)

peaman

Sustaining Member
On a similar topic, has anyone added a gas strut or one of these springs to their lazarette hatches?
I have a few bungee cords with fancy plastic end fittings that work really well for me, whether for the lazz hatch (around the cleat), or for the starboard locker (twice around the winch). Same one keeps the cockpit table quiet when necessary.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If yours is not this way, change it. (!)
I got stuck in my E27 lazarette this way. I was prepared to violently destroy the cover to dislodge the catch but luckily it bounced free after a couple panicked hits. I fixed that one immediately, but I have been meaning to reverse the incorrectly installed one on my 30+ since I got the boat. I know it might bite me sometime but it's been too easy to put off for other projects. Maybe this spring... I am diligent with the bungee cord now!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
All you fellas are all wet and complicated. (Quote from an old girlfriend?)

I have a dowel. A indent in the underside lid made with touch of a drill bit. Stick holds the lid up, lies loose in the nav table when not called for.
You’re a real minimalist, Christian. Nothing wrong with that mind you.