spot cleaning sails

Kevlarpirate

Member II
I am seeking advise on spot cleaning of sails , dacron , especially the dark, "dirt mixed with grease" spots that occur around the foot ,tack and clew areas of the main, because of sloppy hardware lubrications.

What to stay away from?

thanks

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Anything corrosive

The best advice is soap and water...something like dish soap (Palmalive, etc.), and a plastic scrub brush pad (no steel wool or brillo).

Anything else and you are in uncharted territory...

Cheers,
S

Guy Stevens

Sa8

First, I don't sell Amway........

The best that I have found is a big bucket of water with a bunch of SA8 disolved in it, seems to get most of the stuff out, is phosphate free, so doesn't kill the resin on the sails etc.....

Guy
:)

Kevlarpirate

Member II
What is SA8

Guy,

Do I have to find an Amway salesman? I have not been attacked by one of them in years!
Any equivalents?

BTW Did you get my "Fine Feather" ad I mailed you?

Guy Stevens

Amway only product

You have to find one of those Amway people to buy it from. I haven't found anything that works half as good as it.

Yes have the fine feather ad, thanks!!!

We are getting the last of the items crossed off the list, and are hoping to be sailing next week!!!!!!!!!! Wanna come up? :) Should be interesting being the first sail ever on this boat!

Guy
:)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This is what Hasse & Company Port Townsend Sails recommends. As always, Seth is right on the money! See Pic.

Attachments

• sail_cleaning.jpg
    sail_cleaning.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 129

Kevlarpirate

Member II
Thanks

Thanks Guy and Jeff,,

Good news on the boat status, Would like to come up, but I am at the end of my refit and mods to the NPT 41. Please send some pics of your first sail.
I may get the 41 out this weekend also. I will toast you!
I bought that ad on EBAY and will scan it and send a good resolution shot to you

Jeff, I printed that post and will read it at home

Thanks