Spinnaker Topping Lift Opinions

hcpookie

Member III
My spinnaker rig has this type of block attached to the mast with a strap eye:

303_05.jpg

To avoid chafe, I've determined that the best way to "store" the block is to run a messenger line in place of the topping lift to avoid UV damage and prevent the block from banging around up there. Is this the "best" way to secure this block? The strap eye and block swivel all have quite a bit of area for the halyards to chafe. I use bungee cords to secure the halyards at the dock, which eliminates most of the chafe. But it still bugs me.

I've considered attaching a snap hook and climbing halfway up the mast to attach it whenever I want to use my spinnaker. That seems like more work than it should be, so I've also considered other block options.

There is a really slick hinged block that is built for halyard use, but it is MSRP at $300. The benefits is that this hinged block has less area to chafe, since only the smooth outer rim of the block will be exposed to the halyards.

SO... opinion time! :devil: Go with the messenger line? Attach a snap hook to the block? What's behind curtain number 3?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I think your option of climbing up the mast is by far the most entertaining option!:devil:
But seriously, I can't see this as a realistic option every time you want to use the spinnaker. I think it will decrease your spinnaker use, put you at some risk of injury, and is just not very much fun, and sailing should be fun (for the most part).
I think your option of a messenger line holding it in place sounds workable.
Frank.

hcpookie

Member III
gee thanks! I figure it will be even more entertaining when I'm wearing my clown suit! :p

My *old* jib halyard has a very distinct spot on it where it chafes against the block/strap eye. I'm starting to think that I should use a messenger line for it too. I'm just not seeing any other smart way to keep that point from chafing.

Emerald

My *old* jib halyard has a very distinct spot on it where it chafes against the block/strap eye. I'm starting to think that I should use a messenger line for it too. I'm just not seeing any other smart way to keep that point from chafing.

Maybe I'm not visualizing this right, but why don't you just bring the jib halyard off to a stanchion base when not in use? That would keep it off the face of the mast and keep it from chaffing. Just a thought....

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Something else?

The value of this practice will vary from owner to owner, but by far the best way to protect your halyards, topping lifts, etc. is to remove them when not sailing and replace them with messenger lines. Chafe and UV exposure are greatly reduced-but it is one more step in the clean up process many will not want to take.

On the other and, chafe should not be a big deal except when the lift is in use-this block does not seem to be ideal for attaching to the eye strap, but you don't have to spend $300 on one that is better suited. Look at some other boats to see what blocks are being used (harken bocks are nice), and make sure you are using the right size (you don't need a 7 series or even a 5 block for this application) for the line diameter..

Good luck!

S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
HC,
Can you un-cloak a little bit in your bio (modify your User CP) and tell us what boat you own?
If the lift is external, just lead both ends of the line to the rail to prevent clanging and chafe. Take the jib and spinn halyards to the pulpit, same reason. We did that for a decade in our prior 26 footer.
Try not to tie 'em to the lifelines like some folks do -- it stretches the lifeline and could over-torque a stanchion. :(
Loren