Spinnaker Pole for E 38-200 Set Up Question

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I am putting new ends on my pole that will be a lot lighter than the lead filled ones that it came with. I got a set of Forespar composite ends with internal trips. The ends can also be also opened externally by sliding the piston back till it latches. It looks like the way these ends were intended to be rigged was to allow internal tripping of the outboard end by pulling a line, and external tripping of the inboard end by sliding the pistion. My question is whether or not I should try to rig internal trips for both ends from either end. I hope this make sense but what I am saying is there would be 2 small lines coming out of exit blocks out of the pole about a foot from either end. One line would trip the end close by the other would trip the opposite end. I used to crew on a boat with a sweet carbon pole that had these dual trip lines and it was great. In order to set mine up like this I will need to do some extra work. Just wondering if it is worth it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Floatation note

One consideration, if it does not conflict with the internal lines contemplated, is to put some floatation inside the pole before reassembly. All of my spinnaker poles have had external trip lines, and I have filled the inside with foam "peanuts."
I like the extra insurance against a pole slowly sinking before the boat can be turned around and a P.O.B. rescue completed.
:)
Loren

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Floatation is not a bad idea at all. My pole is always attached to to boat via the downhaul but would not hurt to add some cheap insurance.