Spinnaker halyard caught inside mast E38-200

Ada Mae

Our new to us 1988 E38-200 has the spinnaker halyard fouled inside the mast. It seems totally frozen. Is there anyway to free this without dropping the mast?

u079721

Contributing Partner
There were a couple of times when one of my halyards were stuck, and the problem in each case was that the wire halyard had jumped the sheave at the masthead and got caught between the sheave and the outer wall. I haven't seen your rig, but offhand I can't imagine what would catch the halyard INSIDE the mast, so I would for a start recommend someone go aloft and examine the masthead and the sheaves to first be able to rule that out.

Ada Mae

Hi Steve,

The boat is in Mexico at the time I noticed the halyard stuck we had a rigger coming to the boat so while he was aloft he checked that everything was free on top but. He could move the halyard but he couldn't pull it up. At the same time I tried moving it from below. After he was down I tried loosening all of the halyards to see if I could get it to move, still without any luck. All of the other halyards moved freely.
Scottie

Ada Mae

Problem solved

After climbing the mast, looking at diagrams and beating my head against the mast I finally found it. No, the beating the head didn’t work. I did run a borescope up thru where the halyard came out on the bottom of the mast. I taped it to a fish tape and found where one of the lower shrouds hook in, it had pinched the halyard to the mast. We had the boat re-rigged in the water. The strange part was it had been stuck before re-rigging. My guess is the shroud had been replaced before, the halyard got stuck and during the re-rigging, it stuck in the same way. After loosening the shroud, popping the halyard out and tightening the shroud back, everything works.