Spars / Spreader Cleaning & Refinishing / Boots

bkuchinic

Member II
Hello team Ericson,I bought my 1992 E34-II last December (2016). This is my first boat. I had the mast removed for winter storage to permit a thorough professional inspection of the standing rigging (results pending). According to the yard the PO had not pulled the mast for at least 7 years, which is as far back as they have electronic records. Based on the condition of the spreader boots I suspect it's been well over a decade. I haven't seen the mast yet, but the yard removed the spreaders. I've attached a photo of the spreaders and a couple of the boots. Today's questions: How should I clean the adhesive from the spars and should I go with a thorough cleaning, or should I paint the spreaders? If so, with what. I won't be painting the mast. Also, what should I use to replace the boots?Thank you in advance! Brad

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In SoCal a boat can go 20 years without having the mast pulled. What a great opportunity to inspect and work on the spar.

Spreader boots are a standard item at chandleries. Leather is high class. Vinyl is my class. I feel they should be whipped, because tape comes off up there.

You can prep and paint the spreaders with hardware store products. Nobody looks at them anyhow. Or just clean them up.

Adhesive--what sort of stuff? It might come off with acetone or tape remover.

Some of us swear by a product called DeBond for tough jobs. https://www.debondcorporation.com/products/marine-formula

bkuchinic

Member II
Thank you Christian!
I just placed an order for the Debond Marine Formula. It looks like a great product to have on hand, though given the cost that will be a last resort and probably unnecessary for this project. Once my rig gets a clean bill of health I'm happy to hear I can wait a decade or more to pull the mast again.
Brad

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I would start by using Meguires #67 Polish which is slightly abrasive and will remove mould, bird poop stations, etc. Then I would shine and protect them with Meguires #56 Wax, 2 coats if you can, a few days apart if possible. If you have chipped paint, repair those spots before you wax, cleaning the spot with acetone before you paint.

I agree to use the vinyl spreader boots, and I've had good luck holding them in place with the black zip tires which are uv resistant. Tape comes off, even the self amalgamating kind.

Add some tefgel or other protectant on the seizing wire where it touches aluminum.

Frank

Last edited:

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
If you need to paint them, I’ve found that Du Pont Krylon spray paint from any hardware store, following light sanding, makes aluminum spreaders look new. It’s very durable, too.
Mike Jacker