South Beach Riggers or KKMI in San Francisco Bay

Spiny Norman

Member I
I purchased my new-to-me 1980 E35-2 at the end of last year. My plan was to sail this summer and haul the boat in the fall for maintenance, paint, etc. I decided to install a Dutchman flaking system last month and as my toping lift was fixed at the top of the mast, Hood Sails had South Beach Riggers come over and install a block on top so as to run the topping lift back down the mast. Hood did an awesome job (as did SBR) and the system looks and works awesome!

When I called SBR to pay my bill, they told me it was time for new rigging. This is my 9th sailboat since I bought my first in 1998 and as they were all classic plastics having been built from 1964 - 1977, there's not one that couldn't use new standing rigging. I was young and single and I knew dismasting and other issues related to double red flag days were always someone else's problems. But now that I'm no longer terribly young, terribly broke and more importantly, terribly single, I feel these are issues to actually get fixed before I had wished I had gotten them fixed.

My question is this: I'm going to haul the boat at KKMI (probably Richmond - I keep her at SF Marina north of Fort Mason and I live in Sebastopol)...does anyone have experience with either (or both) KKMI and South Beach Riggers as far as rigging is concerned? I'm definitely going to haul the boat so I can check the thru hulls and replace the prop and probably repaint the bottom. So, is it better to haul at KKMI and still have SBR do the rigging or just have KKMI do the rigging as well?

Thanks

mfield

Member III
I took my 35-3 to KKMI Sausalito a couple of years ago for haul out and bottom painting. They did a good job although they are on the expensive side. An advantage is that there is a Beta Marine dealer next door and South Beach riggers right next to Beta Marine. KKMI and Beta cooperated holding the boat in the same slip while an engine service was done.

I have a dutchman flaking system (which I think is great) and a monofilament line just snapped - so I may be seeking their assistance soon if I cannot fix it myself.