Son Of A Sailor

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Son Of A Sailor,
Here are some shots of the guy who taught me to sail. My Dad who will be 83 next month. Dad's the guy in the white sweater. He's sailing with a buddy who used to be a broker for Pacific Sea Craft in the south Puget Sound near Olympia where Dad lives. This is as you can see a wood boat close to 100 years old. Dad said it was very tender and only had enough room below for one person to lay down. He also said it had a little diesel and a kerosene heater. Glad I don't own that boat. It looks like a full time job.

I guess the name of the boat is Kelpie. I am sure Popeye must have been the previous owner.

Attachments

• Dad1.jpg
    Dad1.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Dad2.jpg
    Dad2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Dad3.jpg
    Dad3.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Kelpie2.jpg
    Kelpie2.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 78

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, "Kelpie" is a famous Fife design, in England, built in 1903, per at least one web site about historic vessels.
Another site has a half model of same, but the bow is different than the boat pictured...
:confused:

That narrow woodie sure *looks* like a British yacht design of that period, though.

Beautiful photos, and thanks for sharing. Sailing could be said to be "in your blood!"
:)

Best,
Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks for looking Loren and sharing your knowledge of the name. I have to ask my Father the next time I talk to him: Who and how did they get that shot from the bow? Was it a telephoto shot or was some one perched on the end of that long bow sprit?

Dad owned four boats over the course of his life. First a wooden trailer boat he towed from the east coast to Santa Barbara right after WWII, then a 16' Tiberon we sailed on Lake Shasta and Whisky Town lake in Northern California. Then in 1966 he bought a brand new Islander 33, flush deck we sailed all over the sound and San Juan's. After all five of his kids moved out he bought a brand new 1976 Bayfield 25 that he ultimately singled handed to Alaska and back when he retired in 1992 - 1994. Mom won't let him have another boat at this point so he crews with me when ever we both have the time.

Son Of A Sailor.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
cool thread Jeff...I too, am the son of a sailor...my dad
dragged us kids out on sailboats for years...the ericsons
were bought and sold...and enjoyed.... thanx dad !!....

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Here's a few more shots of my Dad in action.

Here's a few more shots of my Dad when I joined him on his Bayfield 25 in Alaska in 1992. We had some weather as you can see.

Attachments

• HellinAlaska1.jpg
    HellinAlaska1.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 56
  • HellinAlaska2.jpg
    HellinAlaska2.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 71
  • HellinAlaska.jpg
    HellinAlaska.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 71

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
just listened (for the 100th time, or so)...the Jimmy Buffett song "sn of a sailor"...not bad......on the right stereo system......"somewhere over china" sounded pretty good too.....:devil:

Son Of A Sailor,
Here are some shots of the guy who taught me to sail. My Dad who will be 83 next month. Dad's the guy in the white sweater. He's sailing with a buddy who used to be a broker for Pacific Sea Craft in the south Puget Sound near Olympia where Dad lives. This is as you can see a wood boat close to 100 years old. Dad said it was very tender and only had enough room below for one person to lay down. He also said it had a little diesel and a kerosene heater. Glad I don't own that boat. It looks like a full time job.

I guess the name of the boat is Kelpie. I am sure Popeye must have been the previous owner.