Solid Vang

hodo

Member III
Has anyone had any experiences with the Garhauer solid vangs. They seem to have a pretty good price. I have a 85 E 38. I know there are some trade-offs versus Hall and Forespar, but for cruising, are they significant? Thanks in advance, Harold S/V Mischief Maker :devil:

Guy Stevens

Trade offs????

I don't know about any trade off's my thoughts are they are superior in every way.... After installing a bunch of a variety of different brands, I find it hard to beat Garhauer...

Guy
:)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
They are great

As good or better than anything out there. Enjoy the bennies of the solid vang!
S

Mike Thomas

Member II
Garhauer solid vang.

Own one and love it. Affordable, serviceable and effective. Well worth the money. I don't know about the other brands because I've never used one but I can tell you that everyone (who's opinion counts) that comes aboard likes mine....

Mike T

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The most "vang" for your b.u.c.

One vang caveat -- the factory solid vang on the O-34 had a gas pressure return cylinder inside. It was mostly leaked out and worthless when we bought our '88 model in '94. :(

I replaced it with a spring return model made by a local company and it is still working just fine. Hood Systems bought the rights to it and now sells it for quite a lot of money. Here is a link.
http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.n...82b31ba21faa5eb1852567c9006d3049?OpenDocument

If I were buying one now, I too would go with Garhauer.

Loren

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
I have a Garhauer on an E-38
Works great. They even made a special size connector for the base of the mast so that it fits in the stock fitting.