Soliciting suggestions for adding a Spinnaker Halyard

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
My mast is set up with external halyards that by default use all the sheaves provided in the mast top. I'm looking for suggestions on how to rig the mast top for a Spinnaker Halyard. My forestay runs right to the cap plate on the mast captured by a single side to side bolt. First thought was some form of bail fitted horizontally and extending out beyond the forestay so the halyard/ pulley is out in clear air and can drift or rotate side to side on the bail.
There is an existing lug plate on the front of the mast that was the original top attachment for the old Schaeffer furling arrangement (behind and a few inches below the forestay). I guess when you deploy the spinnaker it's going to be specifically to port or starboard of the forestay if rigged from that lower attachment point and there's no clash issue. Sailing "light handed" I can't imagine trying to come about with the spinnaker flying.
Suggestions any?

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I forget the fancy name for it, But what you will need is to bolt an aluminum section of u channel across the top plate of the mast extending forward about 9-10 inches. (u channel is what most boat trailers are constructed from) From that hang 2 blocks and run halyards and you will be set. Edd

Emerald

Hi Greg,

I have what I think of as a "crane" on my masthead that is quite simple and seems to work well. I then have a pennant that attaches to the lug on top of the kranz iron in front of the forestay for the tack of the asym. This keeps it all out on the end of the bowsprit in front of the headstay. I actually keep the halyard tied off to the end of the pulpit instead of bringing it aft. This way it never fouls the other headsails or forestay

Attachments

• masthead.jpg
    masthead.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,964
Last edited:

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
David, that's the image I was looking for.

David,
If I guess right you didn't even have to drill any new holes in the mast head, just a longer bolt thru the sheaves it looks like and a second fastener out front?
Thank-you

Emerald

Hi Greg,

It was actually fitted for the prior owner when he had the asym built, but yes, I believe it is using the original holes with longer bolts, and as you see, it's dead simple. If I remember right, there's a compression tube on that forward bolt. The Harken block then attaches around the bolt with a shackle. Nice and simple, and it works. :egrin:

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Our 38 did not have a real spinnaker halyard either, and I once looked into options for mounting one. The best I found was a large oval plate from Rigging Only that you would screw onto the top of the existing plate at the top of the mast. This new plate extended out over the front of the mast far enough to hang a spinnaker halyard block from. Of course to mount it you have to remove everything from the top of the mast, mount the plate, drill holes for the wires, and remount the goodies on top of the new plate. This would be quite a job even with the mast down, let alone if your rig were standing.

In the end I just decided that I didn't fly a spinnaker often enough to warrant the hassle of mounting this, so I never did get a real spinnaker halyard.

Flyertim

Sailing in Alaska
Masthead Bail

My E31 has a Lefiell masthead that I have recently rebuilt. In the process I put the halyards inside the mast. This frees up two of the sheaves...one foreward, one aft. I'll use the forward one for a spinnaker halyard (someday). :rolleyes:

On the Lefiell Marine website you can find the masthead bails that go with their particular masthead. lefiellmarine.com/

Last edited:

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Thanks for the great Link

I'm guessing, but I assume many Ericson models used the LeFiell mast components. And awesome that they're still in business!
I communicated with them back in early 2006 looking for a replacement deck shoe for my mast. That january when I had been attempting to un-step the Mast outside Philly (water/ ice in base of mast) to get Di na G ready to transport, I had been tappy/ tapping around the base of the mast with a hammer attempting to dislodge it, whilst a boom truck was hoisting/ attempting to delaminate the cabin-top! I managed to chip/ crack a small fragment off the bottom edge of said deck shoe.
Turned out I had a bit of an oddball mast profile (4-1/4" wide by about 7-1/2") but without a a sailtrack as part of the extrusion, mine has an external track that's riveted on. (later complicated getting a "Tides Marine" UHMW track section to fit.
The around about way of saying they can't fully support this equipment after 30+ years.
The Bail accessory is the path of least resistance, many thanks David/ Emerald and FlyerTim.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Greg,

To chime in here after all the great advice you already received, it is much preferred to have the halyard above or outside of the forestay. That way you will do an outside gybe, where the sail passes outside of the forestay and around it, rather than inside through the foretriangle. With the idea of the masthead bail, you are on the right track for that action. BTW, the lazy sheet will have to be set up outside, passing forward and around the forestay.