So Cal Tall Ship

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
I went fishing last Saturday from San Pedro and passed this beauty on our way back in. Anyone know this ship?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 103

Wysailer

Member II
Tall Ship

Looks like one I saw in Chicago a few years ago - maybe 2006 but can't remember the name.
The picture looks great and is much better than see her at the dock!

Scott B
E25cb

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I went fishing last Saturday from San Pedro and passed this beauty on our way back in. Anyone know this ship?

I live in San Pedro and see this ship and her sister ship all the time. That is the Irving Johnson (a Brigantine) because it looks like it has the blue stripe. The Irving Johnson has a sister ship named the Exy Johnson which has a red stripe. I watched the last days of construction on both these ships back in 2002.

This is from the wbsite: About the Twin Brigantines

"Construction of the Twin Brigantines began in December, 2000 at the Brigantine Boatworks, a temporary boat yard set up adjacent to the Los Angeles Maritime Museum in San Pedro, California. They were built by hand using a combination of traditional and modern wooden ship building methods. Master Ship Builder Alan Rawl was in charge of construction, directing the efforts of hundreds of people, many of them volunteers, during the three year long project.

Today both vessels serve with the Los Angeles Maritime Institute providing sail training adventures to "at risk" youth in Southern California. From time to time, TopSail Expedition Voyages are offered as part of the Institute's fund raising activity.

It was a labor of love to build this site and document the construction effort. I want to express my appreciation to Alan Rawl and the L.A. Maritime Institute for allowing me unrestricted access to the ship yard during this time."

http://www.brigantines.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Johnson