Smelly holding tank - again

Timsb

Member II
I can't seem to completely rid the stink from the holding tank. On the 32-3, the tank is under the v-berth. Every time I go back to the boat and open it up I get that unmistakable smell. Four years ago I removed the tank, I rebuilt the toilet, replaced all of the hoses, washed out the tank. I reinstalled everything, it was better but not odor free. Now it's bad again. I know the wet rag test, I haven't done it yet. I plan to do it all over again but this time replace all the lines with as much rigid PVC as I can and use the flexible only where absolutely necessary. And I know I need to replace the vent line and change it to a larger one. I would like to add a second vent but that would require adding cutting a hole in the tank since I don't have a fitting for a second vent line. Should the lines get permeated that quickly? Is there a better way to go?

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I can't seem to completely rid the stink from the holding tank. On the 32-3, the tank is under the v-berth. Every time I go back to the boat and open it up I get that unmistakable smell. Four years ago I removed the tank, I rebuilt the toilet, replaced all of the hoses, washed out the tank. I reinstalled everything, it was better but not odor free. Now it's bad again. I know the wet rag test, I haven't done it yet. I plan to do it all over again but this time replace all the lines with as much rigid PVC as I can and use the flexible only where absolutely necessary. And I know I need to replace the vent line and change it to a larger one. I would like to add a second vent but that would require adding cutting a hole in the tank since I don't have a fitting for a second vent line. Should the lines get permeated that quickly? Is there a better way to go?

Make sure those fittings at the bottom of the tank are really sealed. Both thread tape and pipe dope or permatex on the threads.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Holding Tank Odors

Hi Tim In 82 we installed a Nicro Solar Exhaust Fan in the head and a Intake Fan in front of the head door. My tank and hoses look pretty nasty but we do not have any odor problems and the crew is very sensitive to odors. When we use the head we get some nasty odors overboard but the odor dissipates right away. The vents produce a lot of air changes. If you can't find a leak maybe venting is the answer. Disclaimer is that we only use the boat 4 months of the year.
Best Regards
Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lyric of the day: "Oo oo that Smell!"

If you used vinyl-lined hose specified for waste systems there should not be any permeation at all. Like, zero. Same for an intact roto-molded plastic tank from Ronco.
As has been pointed out, connections are usually the weak point in the system. Ours are all double clamped on the pressure side, and single clamped on the suction side.
If you still have the original Whale Gusher pump with the yellow painted body for offshore pump outs, it can let odor past/thru the top diaphragm, and there is a superior all-plastic version waste pump you can replace it with. Mounting holes are different but the main opening for the handle is still useable. That's what I did.

Next, you have GOT to "deep clean" he hull under the head compartment counter and under the holding tank. It takes more than one or two wipe-downs. Use a cleaner with bleach, and scrub all surfaces with that stuff and hot water on a wrung-out rag. Repeat.
Wipe it dry and check for residual odor the next day.

We found that the prior owner had somehow ignored leaks/seeps for several years, and even tho these inside hull surfaces had been gel coated at the factory, the porous surface (like all gel coat) and had absorbed a whiff of something unpleasant.

As a final step, install ventilation for all of the boat's inside spaces. While mold and mildew are not the same level of threat, they do have their own odor. Keeping air flowing and allowing condensation to evaporate out of enclosed space is vital for boat interiors no matter what brand or model.

Good luck to you.

Addendum: like another poster we also installed an overhead vent in the cabin top many years ago. We went with the SS version of the Beckson vent-o-mate. Great product.

Last edited:

csoule13

Member III
My old man is going through this on our boat. So far it's been 1) Failed joker valve 2) Saturated hoses 3) Failed connections at the tank and 4) That entire compartment was saturated with odor.

Solution was a rebuild of the whole system from a new toilet on through to a new tank, hoses, charcoal filter. Also, thorough and repeated scrubbing of the hull inside the compartment which you just can't do enough of.

It made me very happy that when I purchased my Cape Dory this spring, the surveyor made sure to exercise and inspect all of the systems, including the head, and really pointed out possible points of failure.

Grizz

Grizz
'Fresh Air' Irony...

Loren posting 'Ooh that smell', from his Fresh Air vantage point, which he left unattributed to Quicksilver Messenger Service (the band, don't know if there was an actual company by that name), oozes irony. Funny. But it could just be me...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You guys are too quick for me.........

Loren posting 'Ooh that smell', from his Fresh Air vantage point, which he left unattributed to Quicksilver Messenger Service (the band, don't know if there was an actual company by that name), oozes irony. Funny. But it could just be me...

Oh my gosh.
I hadn't thought about it that way! Nothing gets past the "Grizz"... !
:rolleyes:

It was a different reference -- Leonard Skynyrd.
:)

Ooooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell
The smell of death surrounds you…

Trick or Treat!
Try not to eat all the candy before the kids get to your door.
:0

u079721

Contributing Partner
Loren is spot on when he mentions the Whale Gusher pump as a possible source of odor. When I was getting our boat ready to sell I spent hours getting rid of every last bit of odor, and found that the Gusher was the final culprit. Being on the Great Lakes where we can't use them anyway it was a no brainer to just remove it and cover over the hole with a nice piece of teak.

I know this will be of no help to everyone who already owns their boat, but when we were first hunting for boats, we found that just about every single boat with a forward head - with the usual holding tank under the V berth or somewhere in the cabin - stank. The ones that had an aft head, with the holding tank in the lazarette, usually did not (or at least much less). That's not to say that you can't have a holding tank in the cabin and still be stink free, but it sure does seem like a greater challenge. Which was a large part of what attracted us to the layout of the E38-200 we eventually bought.

Timsb

Member II
Thanks for all the input. I took another look at the connections and the one going to the top of the tank is single clamped and seems to have some crud caked around the connection. It must have leaked at some point. I think I'll take it all apart again, clean out that compartment good and reassemble with new hoses and double clamps this time.

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Bleach Baby Bleach Bab

Since we're speaking lyrically.

I replaced all hoses, head, holding tank and the whale gusher. I agree that odor can escape from the WG pump.

Not sure this will help but what we do after trips where the head was used is:

1. Pump out at the dock, rinse, repeat 3 times
2. On last flush after pump out we use fresh water
3. I then clean the entire head, base, seat and floor with bleach then rinse

Our boat has zero head odor

Last edited:

Grizz

Grizz
Breathe in the Air?

Wonder if Loren would have been more appreciative if Track 2 Side A (for those that remember album 'sides') of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon had been referenced in this thread? Originally titled 'Breathe in the Air', it was reduced in later pressings to 'Breathe', for some reason.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Loren is spot on when he mentions the Whale Gusher pump as a possible source of odor. When I was getting our boat ready to sell I spent hours getting rid of every last bit of odor, and found that the Gusher was the final culprit. Being on the Great Lakes where we can't use them anyway it was a no brainer to just remove it and cover over the hole with a nice piece of teak.

I know this will be of no help to everyone who already owns their boat, but when we were first hunting for boats, we found that just about every single boat with a forward head - with the usual holding tank under the V berth or somewhere in the cabin - stank. The ones that had an aft head, with the holding tank in the lazarette, usually did not (or at least much less). That's not to say that you can't have a holding tank in the cabin and still be stink free, but it sure does seem like a greater challenge. Which was a large part of what attracted us to the layout of the E38-200 we eventually bought.

I ditched the pump as well - very nasty piece of gear that stank beyond repair. I covered the hole with teak veneer plywood, and mounted a SCAD tank monitor in the plywood. No discharge on the Chesapeake, so no problem. I will install a Y valve if I ever go offshore.

Last edited:

rpm

Member II
Let go the holding tank

We fought the good battle then objectively realized there is no practical reason to suffer all the holding tank problems I ripped it all out. I now have a 5gal Pora potty that can be emptied either by hand or by pump. All is solved.