Small leek around the strut

yasselin

My boat is an Ericson 32-2 (1970), hull # 131. A few days ago I worked around my rudded stuffing box to replace the packing and I dropped some water around the "tube" to clean the place. The next morning I found a few drops of water aroud the strut. (you understand that the boat is in dry dock)! So I dryed the strut, went inside and poured more water behind the strut area. Went outside and after a while, I saw a few drops of water again !!! :esad:

My plan is to get inside, clean (sand) the area around the top of the strut and put some epoxy with a bit of high density filler and may be some mat. Note that the strut is very solid. It does't move at all.

My question is : Does anyone knows if the strut is bolted through "pure fiberglass" or is it bolted on a peace of wood inbeded in fiberglass. I would be more nervous if there is some wood in that area of the hull !!! The manual of the Ericson 32-2 is very limited and shows nothing on the structure of the strut area.

Thank you

Yves :confused:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I say leave it. When you have a few more leeks you'll have enough to make some soup.

But I kid...

I doubt there is anything but fiberglass where the stru is mounted. I think there was a thread here once on a strut rebedding...