size of head thru-hull valve?

rschaffner

I just discovered that the only gate valve on my 1973 E-32 which was not replaced by a PO was the head discharge outlet. Can anyone tell me the size ball valve I'll need to replace it, and whether I can just unscrew the gate valve and put a new threaded ball valve onto the thru-full fitting? I assume that it's probably 1 1/2" since all the hose is, but I just want to be sure. Thanks. Also, any other suggestions from those who have had the joy of re-plumbing their entire system are very welcome!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Oh Yeah...

If you've not seen it already, check out the projects section - I ripped out the entire thing last year and replaced everything (but the ball valves, which were fine) - and I believe they are 1.5's.

//sse

rschaffner

Thanks!

I remember having looked at your project page before and saying something like "thank goodness my boat's not that complicated!" But of course, it is, and there are some great bits of wisdom in there I will definitely be using. I noticed your boat used to have a PHII. What did you replace it with, and why didn't you like it?

Thanks,
Becky

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Wilcox Crittenden

A WC Skipper II - that's the head I put in there. I chose that head because I wanted something with the biggest pump (4") I could get - to remove any possibility of clogs. They're well spoken of - so much so that Groco copied their design (although they only used a 3" pump...).

Note also the change in the angle of the head. I'm 6'1" - 210lbs - and my PO was even bigger - how he fit in there is beyond me. When I saw the drawings, I knew I wanted to return the head to the arrangement that it was originally set up for....

//sse