Situating E25 better on trailer

klb67pgh

Member III
I'd like to load my E25 CB better on its trailer, with the bow a bit higher, the stern a bit lower, and the boat overall a bit more forward (maybe 2"). I expect if I put 3 or 4 adults in the cockpit while backing the trailer under the boat and connecting the bow strap, and pulling out, I might accomplish my goal. But I'd like to be able to do this myself if possible. I'm looking for ideas/feedback. Could this be a bunk adjustment issue? Do I need to find/use a different ramp? Am I missing anything?

I have attached 2 pics. The first is after I replaced the trailer bunks and carpet, sanded the bottom and added barrier coats and new antifoul, and lowered the boat back onto the trailer. I had complete control with jacks and boat stands and placed it ideally on the trailer I think. It sat well, the mast was more or less level (not shown in the pic however), and the bunks carried back past the companionway bulkhead. The second pic is where I ended up this past weekend after several attempts to get it to load better, including taking it to a different ramp and re-floating the boat. Sorry for the shadow - it was early in the morning Sunday. The boat is sitting okay in the 2nd pic - barely good enough. The bow is just short of the bow stop. The bunks do reach back to the bulkhead. If the boat were 2" farther to the rear, the bunks would not reach the bulkhead. The mast at the stern is a fair bit higher than it is at the bow. This almost became an issue when I backed it into my storage building - I had much less clearance than I expected to have, and just made it in.

20220603_113124.jpg

20221023_084151.jpg

I had someone tell me just to hit the brakes hard to get the boat forward last year when the bow was several inches from the V stop. That works for a fishing boat, but not for something 5,400 lbs. With the ramp I use, and the trailer backed as deep as seems to make sense, the bow eye is lower than the V stop with no one in the boat. With about 250 pounds of ballast in the cockpit, a more or less empty V berth, and me standing on the trailer lifting the bow up just a little, I was able to get the bow eye higher than the V stop, and the bow tight to the stop until I pulled out and it pulled away just a bit as the stern settled on the bunks. If I had the trailer less deep in the water, I can't winch the boat up onto the trailer-I assume at 5,400 lbs I shouldn't expect to be able to winch the boat up onto the trailer. Agree?

I have a much steeper ramp available at the marina, but I don't think that would improve the situation. as the boat floating and the trailer on the ramp will be at substantially different angles, and I think the bow eye would be lower than the V stop. I don't need the depth that a fixed keel boat would need, which this ramp is designed to accommodate.

Could I use lines tied to the trailer, and the cockpit winches to winch the stern down a bit towards the trailer? Just get the trailer a bit deeper? Like I said above, I think a lot more weight in the cockpit is probably the easiest option, assuming help is around when I'm loading up for the off season. I'll take any and all suggestions.

dcoyle

Member III
My boat hauler always places my boat with bow slightly higher than stern. He said you dont want the bow low. I wonder if you can jack the front of the trailer up enough to get the bow up once at your winter storage.