Simrad VS Raymarine or what not to buy.....

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have been having problems for a while now with my new Simrad IS20 instruments but I have held off commenting until now. Over the winter I did some fairly extensive work and this included a new set of Simrads latest instruments the IS20 line. This is a network system that runs on "Simnet" their proprietary design. Why did I do this? Well, I also installed a Simrad AP24 autopilot with their HLD2000 hydraulic ram. I figured the complete system would be great as the wind instrument would tie into the autopilot and the whole thing would work as a seamless system. Oh how wrong I was....

The wind instrument never worked correctly right from the start. The depth was also flaky, occasionally zeroing out and then recovering seconds later. The wind instrument display would stick at 12 O'clock when rotating CCW. After much troubleshooting and trying different things Simrad replaced the wind display. Great! It worked for one day, then worked occasionally for another day and then retired altogether. No wind angle display, but wind speed. Simrad sent replacement windvane. Climb mast, replace windvane. All is well! It works! Return to boat the next day and the wind display is completely non-functional. Not even windspeed. This whole time depth reading come and go.

I purchased the whole package from Seaport Communications in Narragansett, RI. Throughout this ordeal they were and continue to be very supportive and understanding. All contact with Simrad was through them and I was CC'd on the emails so I know what went down and when.

Simrad recommended that the mast cable be changed next and they sent a "complete" wind system. I use quotes because the complete system DID NOT INCLUDE A NEW CABLE! Repeated emails, phone calls, etc. FAILED TO PRODUCE A CABLE. That was four weeks ago. Seaport finally through in the towel and asked if I would be interested in swapping out to a Raymarine ST60+ setup. I agreed, Raymarine had the gear in my hands the NEXT DAY. I did the TriData and Wind to match the layout I had with the Simrad.

Unfortunately this required a short haul to change the transducers as the Raymarine transducers are different from the Simrad. Of course. At 2:30 pm on Friday in removing one of the transducer bodies some fairing compound around the unit done by a PO cracked out. A two hour short haul turned into a weekend on the hard to repair that problem. The boat splashed this morning at 6:30am and I then went up the mast, in a rainstorm, to complete the Raymarine windvane installation.

I brought the Simrad gear home and set it up on my workbench. The cables all checked out fine when continuity/Ohm tested. I tested the wind system on the bench with a 12volt battery and several different cables to make sure that I didn't miss something. The system is DEAD.

My thoughts on this:
Simrad has released the IS20 system before they really tested it. It doesn't work correctly. Their customer service, even to a stocking dealer, is lackluster at best. I spent more money on the Simrad as I thought an integrated system would be nice. The idea of a network system is nice but this experience proves that its not the best idea. The biggest problem with a network system is the inability to test the system as installed and isolate the problem components. Simrads answer every time, in the manuals and directly, was to simply swap parts. This is not my idea of fixing things.

So now I have Raymarine ST60+ components. Its an old analog design. I found it no harder to install than the Simrad single cable "simnet" system. Either way you are pulling cables.....

On the plus side the Simrad autopilot is simply fantastic. Its extremely powerful and steers the boat far better than me. 25kts on a broad reach with a following sea slightly over canvassed is not a problem. I sailed about 100miles in three days a few weeks back and the autopilot steered 98% of the time. Numerous daysailing has been flawless as well. It will also steer perfectly straight downwind so wing-on-wing, setting the whisker pole, etc. is very easy now. I wouldn't hesitate to install one of these again.

Lastly, the ST60+ Wind now needs to be connected to the autopilot, etc. so that the autopilot can steer to wind angle. Seaport will be handling that part of the wiring.....

Working with Seaport Communications was the best decision I made. I was the one that wanted the IS20's and since the product was brand new Seaport had never even seen them, nor installed them. They were there for support, tech advice, tech service, etc. They matched internet pricing. Currently they are dealing with Simrad and getting the return authorizations, etc. for the dead gear. The Raymarine package was handed over to me no questions asked. Tech service will be forthcoming to finish the Raymarine/Simrad wiring. Once the return is sorted out there will be refund cash that I will likely spend on a new VHF with Ram mic. This would have been a disaster if I had purchased on the internet, etc.

So there you go. Buyer beware with Simrad instruments!

RT

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Great info, thanks! I think the other big lesson here is using a vendor who is a trusted advisor as opposed to saving a few bucks by buying on the internet. Unless it is a product you really know you are often better off buying local. Goes for sails and rigging too. I cant tell you how many customers I have had come in who tried to replace standing rigging on their boats buying over the internet and got bad hardware, bad wire, bad swages, stayloc fittings inside norsemans etc. I try to spend my boat dollars locally when possible to avoid these problems and figure if I'm paying a little more well I'm supporting a local economy.