Side deck drainage,E 38

hodo

Member III
Has anyone solved the issue of standing water on the side decks of the early to mid 80's E 38 ? there are no scuppers cut through the toe rail at the low point, just forward of the lifeline gates. Up here in the damper areas,(Seattle), it leaves about 3/8 " of water standing with nowhere to go.I have a couple of ideas, but they require surgery,so I need to know what works. thanks in advance. :devil:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Well, I can tell you what I did on my 31C. After replacing the teak
toerail I decided to add deck drains at the low point instead of
boring holes in the rail as the factory did. The drains work to
remove most of the runoff (you never get it all) and no more
ugly streaks down the hull sides. I was fortunate to be able
to hide the drains and hoses inside cabinetry without too much
trouble. Don't know how easy this would be to pull off in a 38.

Martin

Seth

Sustaining Partner
standing water

I might be able to help more if I knew where this "low point" was (in terms of fore and aft). Is it at max beam? forward of that? Aft? try and be as specific as you can and hopefully I (or one of the other, smarter members) can suggest something to help.

It HAS been one of those small, annoying "misses" that all boats have to some degree-could be much worse, but in any case let us know where this point is and we can go from there.

cheers

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I think it is a problem endemic to the Mrk III models. The water collects at the stern end in the "pocket" formed by the coaming and the toe rail. My solution is to keep the boat on a mooring where the wave action throws the water off the boat. However water does collect on the high windward side in rough conditions.

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Low point

The low point is at the side deck dorade for the quarter berth, between the legs of the forward stanchion of the lifeline gate. While this is true for both sides, the dorade is on the port side only. Thanks for the help.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
wet decks

Thanks Hodo-Based on what Geoff says it may actually just be "one of those things".. I was hoping it might be something like fore and aft trim-I was wondering if the boat were truly " sitting on it's lines" would this happen, or was it from the boat being overly stern-heavy..

It is something to double check, but it sounds like this is happening at normal trim, right? You would know better, and it may be worth checking-as you know, I am one of those "keep most of the weight over the keel" kind of guys...

Good luck!

S

hodo

Member III
Thanks for your input. She is setting on her lines, and I looked at an 88 e 38, and there is another drain on the newer boats. It is just a small thing, don,t know if I'll pursue it or not.It does make a handy source of water for the dog! Thanks again, have a good weekend, mine starts in about 40 minutes, and involves a sailboat! Guiness is Good. Hodo

erobitaille

Member II
Wet Deck

Hodo,
Geoff is right it just one of those things. My boat does the same. I hose it off then used a deck brush to sweep the water to the rear scupper. :esad: