Shroud stay tension help please.

Sethro310

Hello I have a 1971 E-35II and I was wondering how to set the tension of my stays. All of them but one are tight. One of the port "shroud" (I thinks that's what it's called) stays is very loose. There are two on the port side and two on the starboard side. Only one on port side is loose. Any suggestions on what the tension should be?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Hello I have a 1971 E-35II and I was wondering how to set the tension of my stays.

the easy answer is to take to slack out of the one that is loose. ;)

the longer -but very general - answer is to "tune the rig". In broad terms, that means
-- adjusting the upper shrouds so that the masthead is centered over the boat
-- adjusting the lower shrouds so that the mast is straight ("in column") from deck to masthead
-- and then snugging them all up to equivalent tension.

Its a little bit of an iterative process, as one adjustment might change others.

Then, go sailing, and (on each tack)!check to see that the mast is in column, and no shrouds are slack.

Sorry for brevity - typing on phone...

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Brion Toss is a great resource

Hello I have a 1971 E-35II and I was wondering how to set the tension of my stays. All of them but one are tight. One of the port "shroud" (I thinks that's what it's called) stays is very loose. There are two on the port side and two on the starboard side. Only one on port side is loose. Any suggestions on what the tension should be?
If you really want to learn to do it right, Brion Toss is a great resource: http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Your-Rig-DVD-version/dp/B0009XCZU6