Shroud rollers

Art Mullinax

Member III
When sailing on the lake we appreciate any wind we can get. I noticed on days with little or no wind, tacking was a hassle due to the jib catching on the shrouds. I have the turnbuckle covers to prevent snags and the small split tubing over the wires. Something had to be done. I took 6 foot lengths of 1" PVC pipe with end caps. I chucked the end caps in my lathe and cut a 7/16 hole in each to allow the threaded part of the shroud to slide through. I removed 1 shroud at a time and installed a length of pipe with the caps on each end then, re-tensioned each shroud. I did this on the 2 front and 2 middle shrouds. These pipes rest on the turnbuckle cover. Now when I tack, the jib rolls over the shroud as slick as boiled okra...
Art M.
E29/#53

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We want to see

the photos, please. Sounds great, but a little hard to viz.

I'm thinking about leaving off the leather spreader tip covers after I get done seizing the spreaders to the wires. Looking for ideas for tip treatment.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Don't have a camera

Sorry but I don't have a dig. camera yet.
I chucked the end caps in the lathe but a drill motor will accomplish the same. The hole is in the center on the end. I attached the end caps (2 per length of pipe) with PVC glue. I disconnected each shroud and put it through the pipe, then re-tensioned the shroud. It looks like a conveyor roller on the shroud. You can spin the PVC pipe like a roller. It's sitting on top of the PVC turnbuckle cover. When tacking or gybing, the jib and sheets come in contact with pipe and it (PVC pipe) rolls over the shroud. I hope this explains better...
Art M.
E29/Issaqueena