shower hose access

oregon18

I have an 86 ericson 35-3 and I am trying to replace the shower hose. Does anyone know how to access the fitting behind the shower panels? When I remove the escutcheon plate , there is just solid plywood. It appears that removing the right side mirror may give me access, but maybe there is solid wood behind that. Before I start drilling out the wooden plugs, maybe someone has run into this and might save me unneeded work----Also, does anyone have or know where to get blueprints for the boat-----Thanks--Jim

Carefree Sailor

Member II
I have an 86 ericson 35-3 and I am trying to replace the shower hose. Does anyone know how to access the fitting behind the shower panels? When I remove the escutcheon plate , there is just solid plywood. It appears that removing the right side mirror may give me access, but maybe there is solid wood behind that. Before I start drilling out the wooden plugs, maybe someone has run into this and might save me unneeded work----Also, does anyone have or know where to get blueprints for the boat-----Thanks--Jim

Hi Jim,

I have a 1983 35-3 and encountered the same problem awhile back. Here is a thread that got me started in the right direction: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11761-Repairing-a-shower-hose&highlight= Follow the link in post #5 to posts by Tim Reilly. When I got behind the mixer face plate, the woodwork was different than what Tim shows -- I had a solid piece. Thus, yours may look different. I had to remove some of the wood so I could get to the hose attachment. Putting it all back together was a creative exercise but it came back together. Sorry I don't have pictures of "the fix". I cut a piece of wood to replace what I took out. It doesn't look pretty but is covered by the mixer face plate.

Below are some pictures of my setup.

Taking the trim off by removing the plugs won't solve the problem because I tried that as well. The white panels are glued together. The trim is eye candy.

DSC_1602.jpgDSC_2108.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strictly in the FWIW dept, our head compartment is finished inside with white formica and one section in molded frp, gel coated.
When I was changing out all of the old head hoses and redoing all of the convoluted valve scheme, I put in a large screw-out translucent Beckson access plate by the head.
A little more "plastic" in an area of composite finishes does not stand out at all, and this really changed the access to the "hidden" part under the counter.

http://www.beckson.com/screwout.html

Loren

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Strictly in the FWIW dept, our head compartment is finished inside with white formica and one section in molded frp, gel coated.
When I was changing out all of the old head hoses and redoing all of the convoluted valve scheme, I put in a large screw-out translucent Beckson access plate by the head.
A little more "plastic" in an area of composite finishes does not stand out at all, and this really changed the access to the "hidden" part under the counter.

http://www.beckson.com/screwout.html

Loren
Hi Loren,

I wish I had thought of, or known of, your solution when I attacked the problem. It would have made the experience so much more enjoyable than having to cut the piece holding the plumbing in place and figuring out how to put it back together. With the Beckon access plate, I could have simply reached behind and replaced the hose.

Last edited:

oregon18

thanks for info

Hi Loren,

I wish I had thought of, or known of, your solution when I attacked the problem. It would have made the experience so much more enjoyable than having to cut the piece holding the plumbing in place and figuring out how to put it back together. With the Beckon access plate, I could have simply reached behind and replaced the hose.

Thanks George and Loren--looks like a sawzall job unfortunately. You have saved me lots of time and mess--just a "usual" boat job.

Jim Elder
Gloria Jeanne
Olympia