SHOW ME YOUR BRASS!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
So awhile back I took the ship's bell off of my boat, for a variety of reasons which aren't important to this question, and I've been wanting for a long time to restore the bell to it's former glory. It works (pretty hard to break a bell) but it has corrosion along the edge. Any suggestions or directions on the web as to the best way to clean brass bells? It is brass by the way because I tested it with a magnet. It's February and this seemed like a good winter project, like I need another one, my first mate would say!

tempImageofWuOK.jpg

tempImage3Vps2Y.jpg

peaman

Sustaining Member
I believe the pink color indicates loss of zinc, but I have no idea how deep that would go. I think the best fix for your bell is simply some quality time spent with a soft cloth and a tube of Flitz, which is all I would use on brass or bronze.

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
I expect your bell was originally lacquered to prevent corrosion. The corrosion you have is where the lacquer failed.

If this is the case, you need to first strip the remaining lacquer (use alcohol or lacquer thinner), polish the bell, and then use a brass lacquer spray to re-coat it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I did this once years ago, didn't know about the lacquer, polished it up, then polished it again every three weeks for a season, then gave up and determined never to bother with it again.

My hotshot solid brass Weems & Plath oil lamps are not lacquered, and I took them home and put them through the paces of rouge sticks and polishing wheels on a bench grinder, which was a vast lot of work and looked grand for a month. I tried maintenance buffing wih rags in the cabin. I am currently using Barkeeper's Friend, which sorta works a little. Brasso was a monstrous irritation given the nooks and crannies.

I am still at it, polishing brass. It tarnishes before your very eyes--and you are the only one who notices. It is punishment for terrible things I did in youth but have forgotten. I dream of escape, like Papillon.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I am still at it, polishing brass. It tarnishes before your very eyes--and you are the only one who notices.
This is why I only use Flitz, and recommend it. I have used it for several years for good and cheap brass and bronze kept indoors and out, and it seems that the shine lasts far longer than it ever did using Brasso, NevrDull, or any other product. For example, I have an unfancy brass duck which I keep in my living room, and I have a bronze bell (USCG, I'm told), which I keep outside. I am certain that it has been at least 6 months since I polished either one and they both still look pretty good to my eye. I believe that Flitz provides some protective properties in addition to removing the tarnish. Otherwise, I cannot explain why the others require more frequent re-polishing.

IMG_3342.JPG IMG_3343.JPG

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Bob,
+1 on @Jerry VB 's lacquer speculation.
You could empower a press gang and get a couple Jack tars who will have prime responsibility for keeping your brass shiny.
Or, if local ordinances prohibit that, you could apply a finish of Renaissance wax after polishing.
Jeff

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Bob,
+1 on @Jerry VB 's lacquer speculation.
You could empower a press gang and get a couple Jack tars who will have prime responsibility for keeping your brass shiny.
Or, if local ordinances prohibit that, you could apply a finish of Renaissance wax after polishing.
Jeff
Or….I could just forget about it since I have so many other things on my list like, get the mast back in the boat, finish upgrading the helm electronic, mount the new rope clutches, mount the reconditioned Barient 21st winch….the list goes on but you know what I mean I‘m sure.