Servicing Seacocks

GrumpyPawPaw

Member I
Does anyone know what needs to be done to service the seacocks on the 1985 30+? They work fine but since its laid up may as well clean and service them.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Define service? If the seacocks are simple Marelon valves screwed onto mushroom thru-hulls like the originals in my boat, I'd rip 'em out and put in real seacocks. I think most manufacturers recommend lubrication with marine grease? What I do with mine is take some marine axle grease on an acid brush and apply it to the "ball" part of the valve, with it closed, from the outside and from the hose nipple side then cycle the valve to work grease in. I installed bronze Groco valves that are actually rebuildable though there has been no need to. There is a Blake brand of seacock that requires regular greasing but lasts forever. They are rare though.... RT

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Marelon Valves

I Second the get rid of the Marelon Valves.......you never know what will jam them up, and when they will jam up.....

Replaced mine with Groco Bronze and they work beautifully.....so far no need to service them with the boat in fresh water and relatively far away from both natures fallout, and industrial fallout.....two years and counting....

Not cheap, and a lot of really cramped body numbing work.....had a friend do it for me, but I did help, and it was painful.....

My $0.02 worth