Service light on

KanH

Member II
From time to time I mysteriously experienced problems with reverse polarity on my E 30+. It was intermittent with no apparent cause and effect. Often the problem simply went away. Someone suggested that I should replace the electrical intake plug which worked fine and there is now electricity flowing through to the outlets. However, the “service” light on the AC power panel is now on which had never been before the plug was replaced.<O:p></O:p>

I am fairly certain that the new plug was installed correctly to the existing wires so I doubt that is the issue. <O:p></O:p>

Since the term “service” is afar reaching term I am hoping that someone might help narrow down what the light is trying to tell me. This seems to be the nautical version of the old check engine light, it could be a big or small job to diagnose and fix. Either way it would be nice to have a basic idea what the problem might be before the yard electricians start swarming all over the boat.<O:p></O:p>

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
:confused: A good question. I would take such an indicator on an AC panel to mean that "service is present." That is, the shore power is connected to a service panel, though the breaker may not be on. It's somewhat ambiguous. What is the manufacturer of the panel?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Looking at the wiring diagram for the 80s vintage E-32, the service light indicates that the main AC breaker is 'on'.

The reverse polarity light indicates that there is voltage between the neutral leg and the ground leg.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I used to wonder about that, too, but decided that the "service" light simply meant the charger was receiving power. I have never had any reverse polarity issues. Replacing the shore power connection on the boat is a good idea. When the connections in that socket get loose or corroded they can arc and cause a fire. I found mine to have a couple of burned spots on the socket insulator and replace it and the wiring all the way to the charger.

Bill Sanborn

Member III
This is a long shot, but what kind of lite bulbs are used?

When neon bulbs age they can flicker even though there is a continuous voltage applied. I have seen this occur several times. It may be that the polarity is continuously reversed but the bulb is flickering.

You need to hook a volt meter between the green and white wires on the AC panel. It should read a constant zero.

KanH

Member II
thanks

D'oh! So Service means you have it, not that you need it.

I guess my mind set from owning an older boat is always thinking something must be wrong.

BTW, I highly advise everyone changing their inlet plug, the old one was nasty and I am sure it was causing my polarity problem.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
D'oh! So Service means you have it, not that you need it.
I guess my mind set from owning an older boat is always thinking something must be wrong.
BTW, I highly advise everyone changing their inlet plug, the old one was nasty and I am sure it was causing my polarity problem.

A local surveyor has quite a box of saved-up browned and blackened shore power inlets that she brings to "show n tell" when she gives talks to sailing groups about boat maintenance.
And these are from the boats that did not catch fire.
:0
I have taken our old shore power recepticle out and cleaned it up. Since it was clean and the contacts were good I did put it back. Any sign of heat damage and it would get replaced.

Regards,
LB

ps: great pun in that first sentence... :)