SERIOUS WATER INCURSION PROBLEM – solution needed

Roger Ware

Member III
simpler solution?

I very much appreciate all the suggestions, but I wonder, instead of all the complex siphon break arrangements that have been proposed, or the check valve which seems to come with its own baggage, why not just close the bilge thru hull (which I will need a valve to do) when sailing in strong winds, and leave it open the rest of the time? The E38 200 is a dry boat when sailing and takes little water into the cockpit, let alone into the bilge. Simple, cheap, and should be 100% effective (OK I admit that you have to remember to open it afterwards!). Wouldn't work for blue water sailing, but I don't do that anyway.

Roger

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
While that is simpler, my concern is that if you develop any other leak while underway, you won't readily have access to a functioning bilge pump. If it were me, and I was keeping the boat for awhile, I would "do it right". Just my opinion....
Frank.

tramp

Member I
I have an E34 and had a leak only when healed over and squatted down in the transom. This drove me out of my gord because I had a dry bilge when at rest and when sailing slowly. I have a dripless stuffing box so I should have no water inside the boat, a good thing I am thinking. I never got a lot of water, just enough to say it may be a sign of a bigger issue. I systematically eliminated things and finally found it. It turned out to be a leak in between the hull and the hull liner around a through hull fitting for an additional bilge pump (I installed 10 years ago). I did not cut the hole in the liner larger than through the actual hull, this caused a sandwich effect and that is where my leak was. Even with 4200 the seal must have deteriorated over time. Water leaks are the most difficult to pin down, just keep on eliminating things until you run out, then you have found your problem.

Dave