Sensibulb LED's are excellent!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I just did a side-by-side comparison between the standard incandescent fixture on my E38 and converting the same fixture to a Sensibulb LED from www.sailorssolutions.com I converted one of the three lights over the galley. The Sensibulb is brighter, slightly warmer in color and easy to install. The only negative I can see is that the light pattern is not as diffuse as the incandescent. This is a very minor difference and much, much better than any other LED I have seen. It is shockingly bright compared to any other LED or even the incandescent. No other interest, just a happy customer. I ordered 5 more..... RT

Maine Sail

Member III
Yep!

I agree! There are no other LED's like them and I've searched high and low for a less costly "Sensibulb". Even though they are expensive they are worth the price.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I found an article in an old issue of Good Old Boat (July/Aug 2004) that describes making your own LED lamps, inserted into your existing light fixture. I think I will give that a try before I spend $40 for a single lamp source. I am glad to hear that the sensibulbs are good for these applications, though, just in case my handmade ones don't work so well. I am hopeful that the Radio Shack LEDs are not too cold (blue colored). Is there anybody else who has tried this?

Dferr

Member II
Try these out. I just installed a few in my boat, changed out from the normal bluish colored led I had installed previously. The led chip looks very much like the sensibulb, and there's nine on the board, very bright! At half the price.
I opted for the warm color.

1156-PCB-WWHP9

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/pcblamp.htm

Last edited:

Maine Sail

Member III
I found an article in an old issue of Good Old Boat (July/Aug 2004) that describes making your own LED lamps, inserted into your existing light fixture. I think I will give that a try before I spend $40 for a single lamp source. I am glad to hear that the sensibulbs are good for these applications, though, just in case my handmade ones don't work so well. I am hopeful that the Radio Shack LEDs are not too cold (blue colored). Is there anybody else who has tried this?

Keith,

I seems like I tried every LED bulb made but there is NO other bulb made with the warmth of an incandescent other than the Sensibulb. I even tried amber colored LED's but they still stunk.

When you look at how much it costs to upgrade a battery bank & alternator the Sensibulbs look like a good deal.

P.S. Mention you are a Cape Dory member and they will give you 10% off per bulb. (Shhh don't tel everyone;))

I paid about $35.00 each and it's soooooooo worth it. Until you try a "cheaper alternative", then a Sensibulb, you won't understand. I can run five cabin lights and barely break 1 amp hour of draw and it looks like I'm running five Halogens...

Buy the Radio Shack bulb then buy just one Sensibulb and I guarantee you'll be on the phone the next day ordering more Sensibulbs.

Like Rob I have NO stake in the company but when I find something that works, and is worth the expense, even at $35.00 each, I will give it the praises it deserves..

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Great recommendation but where do I find good LEDs that will replace a festoon bulb like this? Or do I need to convert the fixture to a bayonet type? I know there are other manufacturers of this type of LED but I cannot find one from SCAD(sensibulb).

Attachments

• Bulb.jpg
    Bulb.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The shocking thing about the Sensibulb is that it only uses TWO LED's! They are much brighter and warmer than anything else you will find. I have tried others and nothing comes close.

Here is how I did my "redneck" conversion: The Sensibulb comes with a little clip on "G4" pin setup that allows you to plug into a G4 socket and clip the Sensibulb heatsink/LED assembly in either a vertical or horizontal manner. I removed the existing bayonet socket from the light fixture, simply unscrewed. I removed the metal clip that holds the assembly to the G4 pin setup and used a very short sheetmetal screw to hold the metal clip to the center of my existing dome light type fixtures. The Sensibulb assembly just clips onto it and holds fine. I then clipped the wires in the fixture and simply slid the G4 pins right into the cut ends of the wire! Its just like pushing the G4 pins into a socket IMHO. Tuck the wires up out of the way, spray a bit of CorrosionX on the connection and put the lens back on the fixture. Easy. Next one I do I'll take pics. RT