Sediment in my gas tank.

saabbob

I have a 1973 27 foot Ericson. Frequently, I have to take the sediment bowl off and empty it. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to take care of the sediment in the gas tank?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Replace the tank

After a number of years dealing with sediment in the gas on my 27. I finally gave up and pulled the 39 year old tank and replaced it. The original tank was galvanized steel. The inside was completely coated with a deposit which was being disolved by ethanol and would eventually, in spite of two in line filters, plug up the carb. Tried to use solvent to get rid of the sediment many times. I wasn't successful. Yanked the tank. No more problem. Don't know whether your tank is original or not. Al Frakes Port Kent, NY

saabbob

Thanks Al. I was looking for an easier/cheaper solution. Yesterday, I was stowing somethings and had my head down in the lazerette and noticed how excessable the tank was. Did you replace the tank yourself? How difficult was it? What did you replace it with and where did you get it?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Not so difficult

The galvanized steel tank on my 73' 27 was supported by two pieces of 1/2" marine ply tabbed to the hull. The tank was "secured" by fibreglass tabs that engaged the outwardly turned lower edge of the tank. It was also secured by the fill tube. I cut through the fibreglass tabbing with a hammer and sharp chisel. Boat was in the water on a mooring. I removed the grounding straps and the deckfill. The tank slid into the lazerette up and out. Had to clear 3" vent tubes which were run under the tank. I replaced it with a Moeller 12 gal. tank I got from Defender. I made a support platform from marine plywood as the new tank was 3" shorter than the original. I secured the tank to the ply with stainless steel straps. I then slid this assembly through the lazerette and on top of the 1/2" marine ply pieces tabbed to the hull. I made the support platform the same size as the bottom of the original tank. That way I could secure it to the hull by using some stainless steel brackets the local sheet metal shop made for me. I pre-drilled the brackets and secured the assembly with stainless steel screws. I had to install a new deckfill because nothing would match up to the location of the original fill. I ran new grounding wires and 1/4" copper fuel line with flared fittings like the original setup. No more sediment problems. The inside of the old tank has so much build-up it would have taken me forever to get it out. Besides the old tank was 39 years old and had done it's job well. Time for retirement. I'm also in the process of selling the boat and didn't want the new owner to have the same headaches I've been dealing with. Wouldn't have been fair. Al Frakes, Port Kent, NY