Securing Cockpit Cushions

Has anyone come up with a good way to secure cockpit cushions in thier boats to keep them from flying around while sailing? We are going to make some for our cockpit but I'd hate to have to keep them below when we are sailing. That's when my rear will need the most comfort!!!

Glyn Judson

Securing cockpit cushions.

Bart & Cheri, Whenever we've had cushions made for our boats, I have small pockets sewn to each cushion corner on the underside. Female snaps are fitted to the pockets which align with male ones screwed into the cockpit seats. It's then a simple matter of snapping them down once and for all until time to stow them. Think small T-shirt pockets and you've got it, just enough room to get a finger into to snap, snap, snap them into place. The male snaps are at the extreme corners of the seats and don't interfere with one's butt when sitting on the seats, sans cushions. Regards, Glyn Judson, Ericson 31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Flaty's

We just bought some "Flaty's" for our boat. They are similar to those mattresses you use for camping. You unscrew the cap on a valve and the Flaty's inflate themselves for you (they only inflate to be about an inch or so thick). Just reinstall the cap and they stay inflated. To deflate and store, simply remove the cap again and just roll them up! The air is forced out through the valve. Reinsert the cap and put them away. They roll up to about a 5" diameter roll, 30" long that will store just about anywhere. The bottoms are coated with a non-skid material that should keep them from sliding around, but they also have a plastic grommet in each corner to accommodate a bungy or clip. Ours are the ones that have both a tushy cushion and a seat back. We plan to secure them with a piece of bungy run across the "fold" between the back and bottom cushions.
http://www.covers4sail.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=519&osCsid=1fde5cb61ca8d3fa727c07688a7ce280

I Googled these things and couldn't find much, but the above link should give you some idea of what I'm talking about. BTW, we bought 2 of them for $67 CDN ea at the Vancouver Boat Show.