Seawater Foot Pump / Leak

omgirl

Member II
Hello,

Need some help...there appears to be a leak around the diaphragm foot pump that pumps in raw seawater. The leak may be coming from the connection of the hose to the pump or perhaps a hole in the diaphragm - given the lack of resistance I find when exercising the foot pump, my guess is it is in the diaphragm itself, although a leak in the hose connection could, I guess, also create the lack of positive H20 pressure feel on the pump - any thought on the source of the problem and the best way to go about addressing it?

It was working all weekend just fine and then I went to step on it to pump it and it just lost the tension and water started leaking out. :confused:

Thanks!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I had the same problem on both my footpumps. There were no repair parts available so I replaced them.

omgirl

Member II
Thanks Tim.

Did you have to replace the diaphragm portion ... or something specific? or does the whole thing come together and you just replaced the whole thing?

Any recommendation on where you bought your replacement?

If it's a Whale Galley Gusher, Defender lists a diaphragm kit #500974 @ $23, and a piston/spring kit #500326 @ $17, cheaper than the pump @ $75/85 if one of those kits solves the problem. I replaced a piston in one of our pumps awhile back - not too much of a job, but if your do-list is very long you can junk it for a new one.

Glyn Judson

Repair/replacement of your Whale(?) foot pump.

Dear omgirl, Also consider a variation of what Gary suggests. If you choose not to rebuild your existing pump right away, by a new replacement and the rebuild kit at the same time. Swap bad for good and rebuild the old one. I did just that and I can tell you that rebuilding that Whale is very easy. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Cory B

Sustaining Member
If you have the same style as treilleys link points to, and for some reason you want the whale gusher instead, on our boat at least, it will fit in just fine. IIRC, it had a slightly different mounting pattern and and I only had to redrill the holes on the sheet-metal shelf it sat on.

Last edited: