Seattle to Sydney

hodo

Member III
Has anyone made plans for the trip north yet? I am just getting started and wondered who is going when from the sound. Might be fun to have a small flotilla heading north and attacking a few unsuspecting ports on the way. Any ideas? Harold, Jessie, S/V Mischief Maker

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Portland to Sidney, also...

It would be fun to buddy boat up the coast. A reasonable departure might be around the first week of June (?). I figure, at the minimum, two days to Astoria, two more to Neah Bay, one to Port Angeles, and one to Sidney.
Weather will have a lot to do with this "best laid plans of mice and men" scenerio, though. :rolleyes:

Loren in Portland

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
We will most likely be leaving Everett Thursday early evening heading to Port Townsend. If you are in Pt. Townsend on Friday, we would certainly head over with you. Our plan is to leave Sunday back to port Townsend most likely.

Jewel

Member II
Leaving Bellingham Thursday, 6-15

:egrin:

We are heading across from Bellingham and have a slip reserved at Roche Harbor for Thursday night. Anyone else going that way?

Dan and Julie
Jewel E28+

hodo

Member III
We will be leaving Kingston on 11th or 12th. We are having our annual yacht club dinner/dance there on the 10th. No firm plans, but thinking P.T. for a day or so, then up to maybe Victoria before Sidney. I also have the following week off. Harold and Jessie, Mischief Maker :devil:

Richard Elliott

Member III
Glad to see Hodo is spelling it "Sidney". The rest of you will be sailing Southwest across the International Date Line to "Sydney". We are most likely overnight at Port Ludlow on the 15th, planning a few days in the Gulf Is. after the Rendezvous. Dick Elliott. E34 "Chandelle".

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Papillon and her crew will be leaving False Creek on Thursday afternoon and crossing the Straits of Georgia to Silva Bay. We then intend to make Sidney late on Friday afternoon. We'll leave Sunday afternoon and head home again for Monday afternoon.

mark reed

Member III
one leg at a time

We'll probably follow our wake from previous years: late April from PDX to Astoria, which allows us to get in a few weekends on the lower Columbia; then Memorial Day weekend across the bar and up to Port Angeles (wx permitting, of course); across the Strait from PA to Sidney on Friday the 16th. Hoping to spend the week after the rendezvous in the Gulf Islands.

CaptDan

Member III
hodo said:
Has anyone made plans for the trip north yet? I am just getting started and wondered who is going when from the sound. Might be fun to have a small flotilla heading north and attacking a few unsuspecting ports on the way. Any ideas? Harold, Jessie, S/V Mischief Maker

As of now I'm planning on going by 'land yacht.' But reading about all you other Vikings' plans to sail up there is whetting my appetite. I think it would be a glorious sail and a great opportunity to join the fleet.

It's a scheduling issue, and a decision whether it'll be possible to be away for almost a week in June. But - hey, life is short, and I'm going to see what I can pull out of the hat.

Either way, I WILL be up there this year.

Capt Dan G>35II "Kunu"

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thinking about committment

Ellen and I hope to see you all up there. We're still trying to decide when to go and whether to go for two whole weeks while we're in the San Juans and Gulf Islands. Today I learned that a project I am working on is likely to be delayed by two months. That pushes the "critical attention" period out to late August instead of late June. Hmmmmm. When one door closes another opens. You think I might be able to forget my sorrows about the delay by repeating the phrase "Work sucks. I'm going to the Coast," and then actually going to the coast?

Last edited:

Richard Elliott

Member III
Rendezvous

For us South Sound folks who live by the tide and current in the Tacoma Narrows, there is a great tide on Thurs., June 15 ebbing all day. I'm planning on Olympia to Port Ludlow on Thurs., arriving in Sidney early Fri. afternoon. However, fog could alter those plans.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous 2006

:egrin: Some of you Vikings are taking the long way, if you are leaving Pudget Sound Either go by way of the San Juans are the John Wayne Marina Leave out Port Angeles as it is a lot further check your charts, you could have a beautiful trip by way of the San Juan up thru La Conner,Past Anacortes to Friday Harbour
Canadian side to Bewell Harbour (for Customs) on South Pender Island
Then less than two Hours to Sidney A beautiful way to go! Go to Sidney North Saanich Yacht club in Tseum Harbour Friday night have dinner in their Dining room , party they go to your slip at Sidney Harbour. A race could be arranged off Sidny and the Spit for Saturday morning. Think about it.

Charlie and Judi SV Eden 30+ home port Esquimalt BC